Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RIP Harry Babcock

September 19, 2008 04:29PM
I posted this also over on the Goat, but I'm sure many on this board knew and loved Harry, too:

The Cumbres & Toltec lost a special "friend" earlier this week. Harry Babcock passed away in Grand Junction, Colorado on Sunday, September 14th. Harry was a retired car man who spent many years working for the Denver & Rio Grande. He began his career working on narrow gauge cars in Salida. He, John Carson and Hawley Seeley--all former Rio Grande employees--brought their expertise to the C&TS as volunteers beginning in 1986, before the Friends was formally formed. I, and a number of other current Friends volunteers were beneficiaries of their experience and teaching during their tenure as volunteers on the C&TS property.

Harry and his "buddies" were also involved in the restoration of several Uintah Railway narrow gauge cars at the Cross Orchards Living History Museum in Grand Junction. Ironically, Harry passed away one day before Cross Orchards received national notoriety as the site of one Barack Obama's Colorado campaign stops. Harry was also a long-time member of the Rio Grande Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society in Grand Junction.

In addition to all of these accomplishments, Harry was just an all around great guy. He will be missed by all of us who had the pleasure to know him.

Harry's obituary may be read here: [www.legacy.com]
Subject Author Posted

RIP Harry Babcock

Wade Hall September 19, 2008 04:29PM

Re: RIP Harry Babcock

MD Ramsey September 22, 2008 08:56PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login