Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Clarification of G & Q situation - Who took the ballast?

January 17, 2009 01:34PM
Just to clarify a few points raised in the most interesting discussion:

1. It is NOT true to say that nothing has been from Riobamba to Urbina since 2007.

We had a tour with 53 and 97 on May 22, 2008 and I also took 97 up empty in November 2008 to bring down some people from Urbina.

I think the last time anyone went to Mocha was probably in 2007 also, and the autoferro was 97 also. Because of her sanding capability - or to put it another way because it works - she is the only suitable machine to go to Mocha at the moment.The crews do not like going to Mocha as they have to reverse all the way back to the wye at Urbina to turn.

I have no up to date information on the landslide between Urbina and Mocha other than that it is minor so I expect this to be reopened in the not too distant future not that anyone wants to go there but we do want to have it available for any tours this year. That means by July.

2. As regards the derailment. I had had some photos forwarded to me last week and I was appalled to see that there was no ballast. This was before the derailment and at that time I gave them two months. Unfortunately I was being over generous. In fact there is reason to believe that some places - other than the railway track of course - have wonderful stone lawns, roads etc. as the ballast seems never to have made it to the track even though ordered! Such is Ecuador!

3. There is now a very serious situation in that Tambillo to Quito was done up for the presidential special. The rest is frankly a total mess and in my view will take three months to sort out. Either they ballast the track or the trains keep coming off.

It is interesting that the ballast covered the first section out of Quito which was suitable for photos and one would think an entire railroad had been relaid but my information - and I cannot vouch firsthand for this - is that the rest of the track to Tambillo is pretty well the old only unfortunately minus the dirt and mud which held it together for years as they cleared out everything from under the track. This is clear from Dales photos.

In some places when I last saw it, the track might as well have been on springs. No we were not going to try to convert it to a Maglev! But I saw four feet literally in the air at times!

The first lesson I learnt in South Amnerica which is now some forty four years ago is do not touch anything that works or you will be sorry! That means do not touch track which has not derailed anything lately no matter how badly it looks! That is how Ibarra to Primer Paso is kept going.

4. As for spikes on every second sleeper that is indeed a luxury as on a lot of the track there is may be one in seven and the grass field kept the rest together!

5. Chimbacalle is not dual guage but does have curvature and it was felt it would be embarrassing to have a train derail in the station and perhaps walk - if that is the correct word - a few feet on the ballast so there are check rails within the station.

6. I can confirm there is no intention now of doing anything from Yaguachi to Milagro to Bucay to Huigra to Sibambe this year unless President Correas decides to put the boot in and even that wont do much good either.

7. As Dale has shown Chimbacalle station is looking wonderful and to judge from all the nice newly painted equipment there, one would think there was a very active railroad! Well, it looks good and in places like this appearances are what matter, alas!

8. No. 17 is indeed in a bad way steaming. She is leaking very badly on the right hand cylinder due to head problems and apart from the other leaks this has a major effect. She needs a complete overhaul. In case anyone asks when her boiler cert expires my answer is what boiler cert? Nobody seems to even know when she got her present boiler and anyhow why do you need to test them? If they work, they work and if they do not, they blow up!!

Certainly this derailment is a disaster as it was hoped that somehow we could use the section at least to Cotopaxi(El Boliche) but even now that is in doubt. I will keep readers posted.

Michael Grimes
Subject Author Posted

Clarification of G & Q situation - Who took the ballast?

KellsMuseum January 17, 2009 01:34PM

Re: Clarification of G & Q situation - Who took the ballast?

DWBrown January 17, 2009 02:17PM

Re: Clarification of G & Q situation - Who took the ballast?

DWBrown January 17, 2009 02:48PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login