Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lunatic operations in Ecuador on the G & Q with 6.5% grades - but, oh, what Fun!

January 11, 2009 12:43PM
The steepest gradient on the Devils Nose on the G & Q line between the two switchbacks is 6.5%, believe it or not. If you look at my map on www.railwayinternational.com I have listed all the gradients on the map on the main page. The "normal" grade is 5%! However, we have untold trouble getting the steam engine,particularly No. 17 up 6.5%. Her condition is such that she can only pull three coaches and boy, does she slip!

Standard operating practice is to carry the sandbox on the buffer, stick your sanders leaning out over the front with one hand holding them to the engine while the other scoops the sand and puts it on the track. Two sanders are used when the going gets difficult. Health and Safety would love it! And when we run out of sand we take the nearest earth we can find! Anyone interested look at my photos on m website which has 2,000 photos on the Ecuador railways.

We have not had No. 53 down to Sibambe from Alausi for some time - for that matter she has not even made it to Alausi - and I seriously doubt that the gradient plus the track condition would not mean that we would have no trouble getting down but getting her home just might be impossible! The only section we can use this big machine on is Riobamba to Urbina summit and on the new track from Quito to Latacunga although I have slight reservations coming back from Lasso to El Boliche which is another hell of a gradient. We spent seven hours doing five kilometres with railcar 110 on this section last year on one particular day I would rather forget! No. 58 is assigned currently to this section as is No. 18.

I can assure readers that trying to run passenger service on these gradients is quite a feat! Add to that derailments - my maximum has been five in one day - and you have even more fun. However, to get a coach back only takes 8 minutes - vast experience - whereas it does take an hour or so to put the whole train back! An nobody even mentions the fact that you derailed when you get back to the depot. No enquiries, no health and safety, no nosey management,no reports to write, just pure heaven operationally. If you come off, you get yourself back on, as on the Andes there is no help, and you probably have the only piece of operational motive power on the line so don't expect someone to come and pull you out!

Again I apologise if this is too technical and too specific but there just might be people,out there who are interested.

Incidentally we do have an interesting debate as to whether when you are slipping badly you should (1) leave the passengers on the train to provide ballast or (2) make them walk or (3) make them walk and push. We understand other railroads in similar situations make only the 3rd.class passengers push and walk but as we only have roof class we have yet to set a policy on who should do what! We have tried a slight variation in making all the passengers jump up and down together but I have seen no positive results from this though theoretically it should help.

And if you think I am joking above just come for as ride with us someday! I am not joking!

Michael Grimes
Subject Author Posted

Lunatic operations in Ecuador on the G & Q with 6.5% grades - but, oh, what Fun!

KellsMuseum January 11, 2009 12:43PM

Re: Lunatic operations in Ecuador on the G & Q with 6.5% grades - but, oh, what Fun!

Ron Keagle January 11, 2009 05:41PM

Re: Four Trains at one time on Devils Nose

KellsMuseum January 11, 2009 11:10PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login