Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A True Steam Giant Retires

December 19, 2008 02:45PM
December 17, 2008

It was my fortune to have lunch today with David W. Griner, Chief Mechanical Officer of Wasatch Railroad Contractors. Today is Dave’s last day as he is retiring and moving on to greener and “warmer” pastures. As we sat at lunch I reflected on Dave’s life and his accomplishments. I was able to ask Dave his feelings about his history and career. I take this opportunity to share with all of you a few of what I felt were the highlights.

In my book, one of Dave’s greatest accomplishments was the completion of the 844 Fire Box project. Dave was brought into the project well into the construction phase of the project. Dave took the reigns quickly, re-organized the operation, literally put a fire under it and in less than 18 months, he had the project finished. I had the great opportunity, along with Matthew A. Janssen, to work under Dave’s direction. Dave always started the day with a review of the work to be completed. He then asked each of us if we had comments or suggestions. He was always willing to listen. Watching the project come together as fast as it did after Dave arrived was a miracle in and of itself. Dave mentioned the 844 project while at lunch today as a project that he really enjoyed.

Dave also mentioned today the 89 project which he was heavily involved in at the Strasburg Railroad– or “The Burg” as he likes to call it. He recalled today at lunch what a great project that was and what a great locomotive the 89 continues to be for “The Burg”. As many of you well know, Dave spent many years at “The Burg” and has many feathers in his cap as a result of the work he did there. Many days here in Cheyenne were spent listening to stories of Dave, Doc, Kelly, Linn and the crew at the “Burg” operating trains. Dave really enjoyed switching with Kelly Anderson. Dave said it was like reading minds… “We just knew what we were doing,” Dave would often say.

Dave has a number of accomplishments outside of the steam world as we know it. Dave spent a great part of his life at Hartford Steam Boiler as a boiler inspector. If it has had steam in it on the east coast, Dave has seen it and most likely, Dave has written it up, repaired it, or told somebody how to repair it. I have often contemplated what it would be like to have been able to see so many different types of boilers and meet so many different people. In my book, Dave has accomplished more in the steam industry as a whole than anybody else I know.

As I asked Dave about what he felt were other accomplishments of his life, he mentioned to me his involvement with the Engineering Standards Committee. Dave has been a member of ESC and continues as such since its inspection. Dave has spent years and years of his life studying, reading and battling with the past while striving to preserve the future. Dave has always taken his responsibilities to heart. The ESC has not simply been a position to hang his hat upon; Dave has worked for the preservation of the industry. I have witnessed Dave enter into heated debates over repair procedures, standard practices and proposed rules. He is passionate about his knowledge and the industry. Dave always wages a very good verbal battle, win or loose!

Dave was also instrumental in the training of the FRA inspectors at many different classes held at the “Burg.” He enjoyed teaching those classes and being part of that experience.

I could go on and on, but I will not. Before I exit this soap box, however, I have to share with you what I will forever keep from Dave:

Dave loves to see you think. He is a master of asking you bated questions. “Do you really know?” He would ask often. He wants you to learn. He wants to teach, he wants to see somebody grasp something.

Of the comments he shared with me today at lunch the most powerful was this:

“I like helping people.”

As I have watched Dave I have come to find that nothing is more frustrating to him than situations when he is trying to help, but the recipient just won’t listen. Dave is willing to give, if you are willing to take.

I hired Dave as I felt it an opportunity for me to learn. I have learned so much. I have learned more than I can ever write and share on these pages. As such, I extend to all of you a challenge. More than anything, a challenge to my generation and those younger than me.

Question: WHO IS YOUR DAVE GRINER?

We speak often about the next generation. My contention is; what are we doing to learn from the Dave’s of the world? What are we doing to take from those willing to give? Life is short, time moves fast. We will loose more and more of the Dave’s as each hour passes. What are we doing to suck these walking encyclopedias dry of every ounce we can get out of them?

Dave, thank you for teaching me. You will remain a great inspiration to me as I press forward….hopefully carrying the flame that you have started. I will do my best to remember what you have taught me. It has been an honor to have you with us; I hate to see you go. However, I wish you the very best in your next endeavors.

Dave will continue on as the leader of Arizona Mechanical Engineering. Dave will be leaving Cheyenne and moving to Peoria, Arizona. For those of you who know Dave, he speaks often of Peoria. He really likes that place!

If you have learned from Dave over the years and wish to thank him, I invite you to contact him personally at dwgriner@wasatch-rr-contractors.com

If you have a different “Dave” in your life, I invite you to write him or her and thank them for the lessons taught and the lessons learned. The clock ticks on…

All the best Dave!

John E. Rimmasch
Wasatch Railroad Contractors
Subject Author Posted

A True Steam Giant Retires

John E. Rimmasch December 19, 2008 02:45PM

Re: A True Steam Giant Retires

jasonsobczynski December 20, 2008 11:50AM

Re: A True Steam Giant Retires

Phil Reader December 21, 2008 02:27PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login