Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

04990--burned again!

July 03, 2007 10:47AM avatar
I suppose that Colorado (and New Mexico) railfans should count themselves lucky that so many narrow gauge railroad artifacts have been preserved. I guess that means that we have a few to spare, so must be okay that D&RGW 04990 was set ablaze last night in Boulder's Central Park, eeriely mimicking the end of the RGS caboose that proceeded it on display at the same location. This is true because I read it in the Denver Post this morning.

I am beside myself that another piece of rolling stock has fallen prey to vandals.

C&N/DB&W 30-C&S/RGS 74, D&RGW 280 and 04990 have been on display on a short section of track in a flood plain adjacent to Boulder Creek for years. Forrest Crossen and others preserved them as a monument to Boulder's railroad heritage. We should all be indebted to these folks for their efforts, but also be smart enough to recognize the citizens of Boulder mostly don't give a toot about their railroad heritage today.

I am relieved that the coach is safely at CRRM, and hope 30/74 finds safe haven in Golden--or another more secure site--once work at Strasburg is complete.

Any exhibit in a public place is open to vandalism. I have been impressed to see so many locomotives moved from park displays, restored, and returned to service. Fortunately, they are more often metal than wood and a bit less prone to fire. In truth, the cabooses on display in Ouray, Lake City, Gunnison and Del Norte (among others) are as prone to the violent end of 04990 as any. Fortunately they are a bit more out of the way in places (I hope) where eyes are watching them: Central Park in Boulder is an island among lots of traffic in a now-big city where the railroad display is a good place to be anonymous. It is ironic that stock cars in Dulce, the gon in Gato and the carbodies at St. Elmo have survived is such good condition in far more remote places.

Jason, my hat is off to you for all your hard work. You among all must be devistated having moved well along in a re-building program. Please, please work with the City of Boulder to release the title to this equipment and get it out of the park!

Keith Hayes
Subject Author Posted

04990--burned again!

Keith July 03, 2007 10:47AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login