Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First San Juan Zephyr

August 28, 2008 06:02PM
Following is another item from my snow fighting project research...

You will note that the train was at first called the San Juan Zephyr. I don't think that lasted long. Another D&RGW document revealed that Santa Fe, New Mexico requested the new San Juan to visit Santa Fe, but the Alamsoa division manager nixed that as he was afraid the passengers on the Chili Train would demand the same type of equipment.

Another note, Bill Moyer's father was on the first San Juan riding in the Business Car B-7 with the D&RGW president Mr. Shields. Bill's father was with his journalism class from Adams State College.

Jerry Day

-----------------------------------------
D&RGW Letter
February 15, 1937
Burnham

Mr. H. I. Scofield:

Referring to Mr. L. F. Wilson mail gram of Janury 28th copy to Mr. Williams and yourself:

I left Denver Friday, Febraury 5th and went to Alamosa to equip and stock the dinette-parlor car “Alamosa” for service on the new narrow gauge train (the San Juan Zephyr) between Alamosa and Durango.

On Monday, the 8th, this train was on exhibition at Alamosa and I was told there were upwards of 2,000 people passed through the train on this date. On the evening of th e8th, we prepared and served the hot plate dinners to twenty people, consisting of the representatives of the two banks and promiment business men. Four people were seated at the dining table and balance were givne the tray service such as will be handled on the train. Mr. Shields was with the party. The party left the car about 9 PM, after this service, which from the comments, was highly satisfactory.

The following morning, February 9th, the train left Alamosa at 9 AM, one hour and 50 minutes late. The road had been closed, trains not operating for two days, account of snow. The rotary preceded the passenger train over Cumbres Pass and it was of course a slow trip. Each time the passenger train overtook the rotary the train would have to stop and wait to allow the rotary to get some distance ahead.

We arrived at Durango at 2:30 AM the 10th. There were 67 passengers on the train, all good natured—no complaints about the delay.

The morning of the 10th, the train was on exhibition at Durango, from 8 AM until departure time, which was set back one hour to allow the Durango people to see the train.

On the trip returning to Alamosa, as well as on the going trip, at every station stop, there was a steady stream of people thru the train. At a number of places schools were recessed to allow the pupils to see the train. We arrived at Alamosa about 9 PM and there were quite a number of people passed thru the train after the passengers disembarked.

On the 11th the train again left Alamosa, about on time, and on this trip to and from Durango crowds of people passed thru the train at the various station stops.

There were press notices in the Alamosa and Durango paper, copies of which I presume you have received.

Total people served, both trips, numbered 220, revenue $104.21.

There were a great many comments on the dinette-coach arrangement. The fact that passengers will be able to secure meals on the train is big feature with a great many of the people.

From all I heard and saw, believe the entire trip wa a success.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2008 06:05PM by Jerry Day.
Subject Author Posted

First San Juan Zephyr

Jerry Day August 28, 2008 06:02PM

Re: First San Juan Zephyr

BillD August 28, 2008 06:26PM

Jerry Day August 28, 2008 06:52PM

Bill M. August 28, 2008 07:02PM

Jerry Day August 28, 2008 07:20PM

John West August 28, 2008 09:51PM

Jerry Day August 28, 2008 07:33PM

geode August 29, 2008 04:09PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login