Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Carl Turner was truly a patron of the arts for the C&TS

August 26, 2008 11:30AM
Someone other than myself could write this much better - perhaps close friends of his such as Dr. Spencer Wilson or certainly Dick Cowles. Too many years have elapsed since I had any extended conversation with now the late Carl Turner. But I can't let the news of his passing go unremarked.

My last encounter with Carl was fittingly in the "ghost town" of Osier, CO when I we scarcely had time for much more than to have our photo taken together. I'd returned for a visit. That was 2 years ago.

When I first arrived in Albuquerque in 2003, a stranger I was conversing with told me, "You know, you're not required to be a character to live in New Mexico, but it IS recommended." I met Carl Turner a couple weeks later, and immediately understood exactly what that meant.

Carl was easily the most memorable person I came to know in NM, or maybe anywhere. Usually dressed in coveralls, the signature curved stem pipe in his mouth, his craggy face, full beard, and squinty eyes alone probably would've qualified him for that title. But when he spoke, it cinched the prize. Upon meeting him for the first time, you'd think he was out of a movie set. But after you listened to him for a minute or two, you knew for sure he was the real deal.

Carl was a westerner (though raised in Mississippi), a New Deal Democrat, and most of all, a New Mexican. He was courtly, quick with a laugh, courteous even to his opponents (though they might bleed some later), colorful to the power of 10, and unrelenting in advancing his agenda. All of which made him the most effective advocate the C&TS ever had in the NM legislature and elsewhere around the state.

One underestimated Carl Turner's influence at one's peril. Those that sought to marginalize him would claim victory only to find that it was only the first half of the game. Carl understood the power of tenacity and stubborness. Thus he would prevail in the 4th quarter. A former state legislator, he knew better than any one what was realistically possible in terms of financial support for the C&TS and what wasn't. Through his efforts, he wrung out far more funding from the legislature than grander attempts by others ever accomplished.

New Mexico has just lost some of its enchantment. It will be regained no doubt, but it will take three or four colorful characters to make up for the loss of one Carl Turner.

For a greater appreciation of who he was, try this link: [www.enchantment.coop]
Subject Author Posted

Carl Turner was truly a patron of the arts for the C&TS

Brian Shoup August 26, 2008 11:30AM

Re: Carl Turner was truly a patron of the arts for the C&TS

Roger Hogan August 26, 2008 01:12PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login