Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1881 trip final episode

July 28, 2008 09:56AM
Here is the last installment.

Trains are now running to Chimeta and the track is finished to San Juan on the Rio Grande and twenty miles from Santa Fe on the New Mexico extension, and we connected with the Chimeta train at Antonietta, or San Antoin, twenty-nine miles south of Alamosa. Antoinetta is just across the river from the old Mexican town of Conejos and is a lively little place, containing one of the handsomest little depots we ever saw, built of stone, tastefully embellished with rich stone trimmings and elegantly furnished. The D & R G display on all sides evidence of prosperity and liberality. Alamosa, instead of dying a natural death, as was prophesied when the railroad built on, is as lively as ever and gives plenty of evidence of solid growth and permanence. Quite a number of new buildings are going up, among them several substantial brick stores, and the whole place wears an air of activity and bustle that must be very comforting to property holders. Until a railroad is built north and northwest toward Del Norte, Saguache, and Lake City, this must the market and distributing point for all that country and as the San Luis valley is more and more developed and improved, Alamosa will be proportionally benefitted . The Perry House, known and “cussed” of all travelers in the San Juan, Mr. Perry having sold out to J.W. Burns, Esq. Under the new regime we notice a great improvement and Mr. Burns seems intent on upon making his house first class in every respect. There are many necessary to make a white man really comfortable, but the spirit of accommodation which pervades the establishment and the numerous improvements in the house compensate for some thing that would otherwise be disagreeable. As I look out of the open window I see tempting pyramids of green apples and golden oranges on the counter of a fruit store, while in one window a little sign says “Fresh Oysters Served in Every Style.” This to a man who has just come from the San Juan! To a man that has just spent a whole week in Alta!! I will write you some more “in the sweet”-- at present we feel the need to interview on of those g. o’s. The court adjourns sine die.

From The Dolores News, Rico Colorado, Feb. 19th 1881

Hot sure how fesh these oysters were, unless they were the Rocky Mountain species. There was a meat market in Alamosa, which advertised that they recieved three shipments a week in the about 1900.

Kind of reminds me of a friend who visited Chama with his family in the early 1970's, His daughter noticed that there were fresh crab legs on the menu of whichever resturaunt they were having dinner. As I recall there wasn't a large selection at that time. She asked how many and the waitress replied, she didn't know as she had never had anyone order them before. I believe she chose something else.
Subject Author Posted

1881 trip final episode

davegrandt July 28, 2008 09:56AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login