Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

East Broad Top - July 12 and 13, 2008

July 14, 2008 08:18PM avatar
I was able to time a trip to Pittsburgh in a way that allowed me to spend the weekend around the EBT. Here's what I saw:

The first train on Saturday departed the station by *backing* out. #15 then cut-off, the crew grabbed two additional open cars, reassembled their train, pulled back into the Orbisonia depot, loaded some more passengers, and finally headed out of town. Unlike the C&TS and D&SNG, the EBT sells walk-up (unreserved) tickets, so the EBT often ends up adding cars at the last minute. IIRC, they were running a seven-car train on Saturday while they ran the usual five-car train on Sunday. I think they were also short a brakeman on Saturday, which probably made running the seven-car train even more challenging.

A photographer from the State College newspaper (Centre Daily, I think) was out along the EBT on Saturday. Lee Rainey (of the FEBT) was showing him around and explaining things to him. Hopefully we will see an EBT article in the "Centre Daily" soon.

I didn't see Lance, but Courtney had the M-3 out and was offering rides on it, as well as on the usual speeder. On Saturday morning, there was a pickup and trailer parked alongside the motorcar ride area. On the trailer was a big old English roadster; I asked Courtney if someone had brought it there hoping that he could fix it for them. He said he hoped not because he hates working on English cars...

While I was there to photograph, not ride, the EBT, I did buy a ticket. While awaiting my change, I asked about the rail theft. While I assume that the railroad is not at liberty to inform random railfans about what is going on, my understanding is that (1) suspect(s) have been identified but (2) they have not yet been prosecuted and/or any prosecution is not yet public knowledge.

Unfortunately, I didn't think to ask the General Manager if a chain gang could be used to restore the full line...

While chasing the final Saturday train northbound, I observed smoke coming from the track. IIRC, this was after (north of) the ice cream stand but prior to (south of) the overpass to the farm house. Fortunately, the crew saw the smoke and stopped their train without me having to do anything, thereby saving the NGDF from a "How many imitation Jerseyites does it take to stop an EBT train?" thread. (The rental car I picked up at PIT had NJ plates on it.) The fireman doused the smoldering tie(s) with a bucket of water from the tender and the train proceeded on its way.

Speaking of the NGDF, on Sunday I ran into another NGDF user. That would make a good "Railfanning is" item for Railfan magazine: Railfanning is... when a railfan from Georgia goes to the EBT in Pennsylvania, runs into a former C&TS fireman in town from California, and the two of the kill time between EBT moves by talking about what's up with Earl in Colorado!

--
Chris Webster
Personal Website last updated in 1996
Subject Author Posted

East Broad Top - July 12 and 13, 2008

Chris Webster July 14, 2008 08:18PM

Re: East Broad Top - July 12 and 13, 2008

EBTfan15 July 15, 2008 05:46AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login