Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Silverton Northern caboose #1005

May 08, 2004 05:18PM
Reply tosad smiley#42282) Re: Silverton Northern caboose #1005
AUTHOR: Fritz Klinke
DATE: Saturday, 8 May 2004, at 3:31 a.m.
Thanks for the great information on the Silverton Supply warehouse and how the ore was dumped into the warehouse. I’ve been trying to work out the setup of the two structures for quite a time.
During my research on this building I corresponded with Alan Nossaman at the San Juan County Historical Society and have put together the following:
1. the warehouse had the words “Silverton Supply (Co ??)” painted across the front. I have a photo (from the 70’s) that clearly shows a faded “Silverton” on one side of the double window and an “S” ( Which I have assumed is for Supply) on the other side. I’m not sure whether the “Co.” was on it as well.
2. That some time in the 30’s the warehouse was leased/owned by the Shenandoah – Dives company and I have assumed that he transfer crane was built by the company around the same time.
3. I have a photo of the warehouse taken somewhere between 1938 and 1942 (dated by the fact that there are no Flying Heralds on the boxcars and a Silverton Northern tender is sitting outside the engine shed) with transfer crane but no ore bin.
Can you offer any comments on my assumptions/information. Can you offer any suggestions about what type of roofing the warehouse had – I am inclined to guess tarpaper.
Regards
Paul Ferguson
Silverton Northern RR
Australian Division
Subject Author Posted

Paul Ferguson May 08, 2004 05:18PM

Fritz Klinke May 09, 2004 02:42PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.