Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

passenger fares

February 22, 2008 08:15AM
What did they pay to ride the railroad, over the years? What was the ticket price from Durango to Silverton, or even Denver to Silverton? That is a common question I get at the DSNGRR museum.
Edward T. Jeffery was the Superintendent of the DRG in 1893. That year the Colorado Midland began a rate war. I do not know the rates at the start of the war.
The following information is from Athearn's "Rebel of the Rockies" (p181)
In April the Midland reduced passenger fares, "slashing rates to all points out of Denver, except to Grand Junction, to one dollar, and again Jeffrey matched the reduction. When the Midland established a twenty-five cent rate to all Colorado points, carrying passengers for approximately a sixteenth of a cent a mile, the Rio Grande refused to go along and began to raise fares. By now the major roads were involved, and westerners who wanted to attend the World's Fair in Chicago discovered that they could make the round trip for $30, as opposed to the earlier fare of $61.30."
Athearn goes on in his writings to describe a meeting of the Western Passenger Association in Chicago and how members there agreed rates were going to have to be raised.
So, clearly rates varied considerably and over time. I know that at one point about the same time, the Sante Fe and DRG both were charging about $5 for the Denver to Pueblo run.
What I would like to learn is what rates existed and their duration from 1882 until now. This is especially of interest for Durango to Silverton, but really any information would be appreciated.
Subject Author Posted

passenger fares

bill ramaley February 22, 2008 08:15AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login