Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Excursions Before Juries Awarded Ridiculours Sums

February 03, 2008 02:48PM avatar
Nevada County NG photo from Western Railroader Mar 1963 Bane Col.jpg
Copy of SVRy Excursion train at S Baker DPL Col.jpg
In my humble opinion juries seldom represent a true cross section of public opinion and experience. Perhaps this has a bearing on why many of us see the dollars awarded in many injury suits to be ridiculously high. I make this suggestion as someone who runs a business in a small town, who has lived here nearly all of his life (46 of 48 years), can look out his office window and see the local court house, yet has never been called to jury duty. In this small town I am sure the clerks know me and would realize that it would be a severe hardship on me and my employees if I had to be gone from work for any length of time. I have trouble taking off more than a 3 day weekend. I would guess many people such as myself are excluded in rural America before jury selection even start. I'd bet most members of the medical profession are rarely called for example. Don't know all this for sure, just a guess.
The first photo with caption speaks for itself and is from the Western Railroader March 1963. The second, photo of the crowds on flat cars with improvised railings is of the SVRy in S. Baker and is from the Denver Public Library Col.
Subject Author Posted

Excursions Before Juries Awarded Ridiculours Sums Attachments

J.B.Bane February 03, 2008 02:48PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login