Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Plaster City Railroad "Blue Goose" Railcar

December 19, 2007 08:28AM
I thought I would start a new thread on this unique 3' gauge railcar. This following info from the November 1970 newsletter of the Pacific Southwest Railway Museum Association notes that they had been donated the car. Did they ever get it? Only photo I have seen is in I think Narrow Gauge Nostalgia. Anyone else have photos? I rode on it when I was about 3 years old.

Richard Wilkens

'Blue Goose' finds a new home-PSRMA

What's a "Blue Goose"? It's the most recent addition to PSRMA's growing collection of railroading equipment.

A distant cousin of the Rio Grande Southern's famed Galloping Goose, the Blue Goose is a railcar built by the Plaster City Railroad in the mid-fifties. The railroad has graciously donated the Blue Goose to PSRMA

"Built as a conveyance between the main plant at Plaster City and the quarry operations, it was constructed in the mid—fifties from two 1953 Chrysler coupes, back-to-back. An industrial engine powers the vehicle from the center compartment with two forward and one reverse speeds. Each end of the railcar is individually air-conditioned.

The Goose rides on eight rubber tires which are prevented from roaming off the rails by steel flanges mounted on the inside of the wheels. This all sounds very simple, but a closer inspection makes it apparent that an awfull lot of planning and improvising had to take place to make this one-of-a-kind railcar a success.

Unfortunately, a new road now makes it possible to reach the quarry by car in much shorter time than by rail so the "Blue Goose" has turned white from the gypsum dust that has settled on it in storage.

PSRMA is truly fortunate to obtain this priceless piece of equipment since it was used on a railroad in the immediate area. Thanks to the efforts of Chop Kerr, our assistant director of equipment acquisition, the Blue Goose is a welcome addition to our ever-growing collection of railroadiana.
Subject Author Posted

Plaster City Railroad "Blue Goose" Railcar

railsnw December 19, 2007 08:28AM

Photo

bcp December 19, 2007 11:20AM

Re: Photo

Ed Stabler December 19, 2007 11:50AM

Re: Photo

Rick Steele December 19, 2007 02:13PM

Re: Plaster City Railroad "Blue Goose" Railcar

Dan Robirds December 19, 2007 10:43PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login