Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Steam question?

December 16, 2007 01:27PM avatar
I have a question for some of you that have been around a while:

I don't know what made me think of this but about 15 years ago I met an older guy that came to my place along with a good friend of mine. We were discussing railroad, what else? Any way the discussion led to this guy telling me he was a licensed, I'll say pressure vessel engineer for lack of a better word. A short line tourist railroad used him and his license to operate their steam locomotive powered trains, (I won't divulge which railroad). He was up in years and said he only operated the steam locomotive a couple times a year but they still used his license? Was this ever the scenario? or was this old head just old heading me? Is this a requirement presently that someone on the property has to have a pressure vessel license like this in order to get insurance, pass steam locomotive inspections, etc...

I have been around railroads for 40 years and when I took promotion to engineer it required 3 days of testing and 1,500 questions and this was just for diesels, steam was long gone by this time. I have heard tell steam locomotive engineers had the same type of testing I did plus a lot about steam, it was no easy test, perhaps that is why they were firemen for 15 or 20 years.

SMITTY GOIN' LOCO
LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER, RETIRED
Last run July 24, 1992

Sometimes I sit and wonder how come I am not in a mental institution then I take a good look around at everyone else and realize, maybe I already am!!!
Subject Author Posted

Steam question?

SMITTY December 16, 2007 01:27PM

Re: Steam question?

dan December 16, 2007 03:08PM

J.B.Bane December 16, 2007 07:55PM

Answer

Chris Callaway December 16, 2007 09:07PM

Re: Answer

dougvv December 16, 2007 09:35PM

Dan Robirds December 16, 2007 09:54PM

BillD December 17, 2007 07:34AM

ss&s ry 26 December 17, 2007 01:32PM

Re: Steam question? Attachments

stacktalk2 December 18, 2007 10:47PM

SMITTY December 19, 2007 01:29PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login