Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Preservation" vs. "Restoration"

December 13, 2007 03:01PM
From time to time this subject erupts not only here but also on other venues. We have a tendency to lump everything done to a piece of equipment as "restoration", which is correctly applied as long as the terms are defined. I remember one discussion several years ago on a NHRS site over these two terms, and it got rather acrimonius.

There are two schools of thought here. On one hand the strict preservationists will say don't change a hair on a piece of historic equipment other than to prevent further decay. Then there are the restorationist who will say that modifications and/or repair are acceptable as long as they adhere to certain accepted guidelines. For example, the restorationists would feel comfortable in repairing the ravages of time, and also substituting newer construction techniques and materials as long as the original role and function of the item is not unduly compromised. A good example of this would be the installation of modern air brakes on a car where passenger safety is an issue. I don't think there would be too much argument here.

I bring this up as I'm wrestling with a question which has popped up here as well as amongst the model manufacturers, to wit, green boilers. I've seen the D&RGW specs which would at least acknowlege the existence of "olive green paint on boiler jackets but that taken alone leaves a lot unanswered. The questions I would like to see addressed are the following:

1. Was olive green paint ever adopted on a system wide basis?

2. If not, to what locomotives, or group, was this used? In prowling the DPL photos, there is a photo of D&RGW 3400 which I believe had an olive green jacket at that time. I base my shaky opinion on the variation in shades of gray in the photo. The jacket obviously looks different (lighter) than the air tanks on top of the boiler and also the cab.

3. Even though our interests here obviously heavily lean toward narrow gauge power, to what extent was olive green applied to standard gauge power?

4. And lastly, assume that olive green was used for some time, when was it used, and for how long?

My purpose for asking all this is that I would like to get a Bachman large scale 2-8-8-2 which for all appearances would be almost a dead ringer for D&RGW 3400 with some minor modifications. Both the model and the prototype were USRA designs.

Any information you can provide me would be greatly appreciated. Although photos would be helpful they would be anecdotal, and may not definitely describe the larger picture. So I would love to see some info that would establish that on such and such a date olive green was an acceptable boiler jacket color. I have seen the Irving August 16mm film which shows a double headed Rocky Mountain RR Club excursion on the Monarch branch and both engines had green boilers. It has been pointed out to me that it wouldn't be likely that the Club would repaint those engines especially for that trip if the olive green wasn't autentic.

Thanks................

CJ
Subject Author Posted

"Preservation" vs. "Restoration"

Chile John December 13, 2007 03:01PM

Re: "Preservation" vs. "Restoration" ... and "Green Dates"

Russo Loco December 13, 2007 03:22PM

Chile John December 13, 2007 03:28PM

Russo Loco December 13, 2007 03:45PM

Curtis_F December 13, 2007 03:45PM

Russo Loco December 13, 2007 04:01PM

Curtis_F December 13, 2007 04:56PM

Re: "Preservation" vs. "Restoration" / "Baldwin" Green

Russo Loco December 13, 2007 05:14PM

Re: "Preservation" vs. "Restoration"

Jerry Day December 13, 2007 03:35PM

Chile John December 13, 2007 03:43PM

Jerry Day December 13, 2007 03:47PM

The "green" Montrose engine

Bill M. December 13, 2007 10:25PM

Re: The "green" Montrose engine

hank December 14, 2007 10:31AM

Dick Cowles December 13, 2007 04:16PM

Stephen Hussar December 14, 2007 04:52AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login