Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stalling on the Grade

Anonymous User
December 10, 2007 09:50PM
I have often wondered what it is like when an engine stalls on the grade. I assume the engineer and fireman are aware of a heavy pull ahead and do all they can to assure that the fire is hot, there is plenty of steam, and the engine is operating at full power.

But when the speed gets down to a crawl, what happens in the cab? What levers a pulled and for what purpose? What happens when the train actually stops? Do the engine wheels spin? If not, what damage might occur to the cylinders if there is no motion, yet steam pressure is at the highest point? Could there be damage to the internal components of the engine or to the valve gear?

With regard to engines, are the strategies that the engineer and fireman use when faced with stalling different? For example, is there a difference between operating a 480 series engine and a 490 series on the grade when pulling a heavy train and faced with a stall?

If there are any present or former engineers and fireman out there, I am sure they can shed some light on what must be one of the most dramatic events in operating a steam engine.
Subject Author Posted

Stalling on the Grade

Anonymous User December 10, 2007 09:50PM

Re: Stalling on the Grade

stevejb123 December 10, 2007 10:25PM

Twinkyllamas December 10, 2007 11:25PM

Jim Grigsby December 12, 2007 11:36AM

J.B.Bane December 12, 2007 01:05PM

dan December 12, 2007 01:21PM

J.B.Bane December 12, 2007 02:49PM

Driver slippage nearly destroying a locomotive...."mp3" file

Andy J December 12, 2007 04:12PM

Re: Driver slippage nearly destroying a locomotive...."mp3" file

stuart olson December 12, 2007 04:50PM

Re: Driver slippage nearly destroying a locomotive...."mp3" file

Robin Warren December 12, 2007 05:52PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login