Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NNG - Former Rio Grande F7B scrapped *PIC*

December 12, 2006 10:42AM
Please let me know if I shouldn't post this here. The Trains News Wire is subscriber content on their site. But with the news lately about possibly scrapping historic equipment, I feel that it is important to let everyone know that scrapping of historic equipment is happening elsewhere. Is this significant equipment? I don't know. - Mark
This from the TRAINS News Wire:
December 11, 2006
LARAMIE, Wyo. - During the first week of December former Denver & Rio Grande Western F7B No. 5552 was scrapped in Laramie. The locomotive, built in 1949 as 552B, was sold by the Rio Grande to the Alaska Railroad in 1970 where it became ARR 1517. Alaska sold the unit to Mountain Diesel Transportation in 1986, which renumbered it MDT 1511. Eventually it went to work for the Wyoming & Colorado Railway (WYCO), which operated a former Union Pacific branch from Laramie to Walden, Colo., until 1995 and is now abandoned. Two former Alaska Railroad cab units that operated on WYCO were sold to Arizona's Verde Canyon Railway, where they run today, but the B-unit and an ex-Rock Island caboose remained in Laramie after the railroad closed. The unit was scrapped on-site and, as of the afternoon of December 8 very little remained: the frame, the engine, and assorted scrap piles.
Once scrappers finish up the F7B, they'll move on to Rock Island caboose 17017, and then finish with an old boxcar that WYCO turned into an office. - Information from Nathan Holmes
(Photo Information)
MDTX 1511 Scrappers have reduced a Rio Grande F7B at Laramie, Wyo., to these remains.
(Nathan Holmes photo)
Subject Author Posted

NNG - Former Rio Grande F7B scrapped *PIC*

Mark Fuller December 12, 2006 10:42AM

Re: NNG - Former Rio Grande F7B scrapped

Charlie McCandless December 12, 2006 04:00PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.