Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A Man that has done much for the railroad *PIC*

May 05, 2006 08:30PM
On April 30, 2006 my dad, Herbert Schwartz died in Lebanon, Ohio, it happened to be my son and my birthdays. For some of the folks might remember him as the Manager of the Chamber in Silverton, Colorado and worked in the little caboose in the park passing out information from 1971 to 1979. He helped to clean it up and repair the caboose so they could use it. The harp switch stand that set in front of the caboose was also his that we found on the road to Gladstone years ago.
Growing up we had a rather larger HO & Hon3 layout in our basement in Lebanon, Ohio and was quite active in the Division 3 NMRA for many years. He with others hosted an NMRA convention in Lebanon, Ohio and years later in Middletown, Ohio. We spent many of vacations in the 60s going to Colorado and photographing the narrow gauge. My dad shot B&W and I shot slides. A usual vacation of three weeks usually entailed approximately 50-60 rolls of film. For the Dolores Star he covered the first run of the C&TSRR that our whole family has ridden numerous of times.
He is survived by his wife and three sons who are all interested in Railroading in one way or the other. I have produced several videotapes of the C&TSRR under Black Tree Productions and volunteer each year working with the Friends. He was a kind of man that did a lot to promote the hobby and the narrow gauge without standing out. I always joke with him that when he picked up my mother and me from the hospital when I was born we stopped at the railroad yards in Sharonville, Ohio and I got my first fix of train smoke which I have never gotten over. He will be missed.
Subject Author Posted

A Man that has done much for the railroad *PIC*

John Schwartz May 05, 2006 08:30PM

Re: A Man that has done much for the railroad

Dave S. May 05, 2006 08:46PM

Re: A Man that has done much for the railroad

Floppo May 05, 2006 09:34PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.