Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How I spent my Autumn vacation

October 09, 2000 05:53PM
I have just recently returned from two weeks travelling, in Colorado and Pennsylvania, and thought I would share my experiences with all of you. This message will be long, so please bear with me.
I, and two others in my party, departed from Boston's South Station on the Lake Shore Limited on Friday Sep 22. For the most part Amtrak ran pretty close to schedule. I believe we pulled into Chicago a little early. We then departed on the California Zephyr for Denver, arriving on Sunday (amid two-inches of snow) an hour late.
We rented a car and stayed overnight with a friend in Colorado Springs. Monday we drove to Chama for a ride on the C&TS. As we topped Cumbres Pass (an hour later than originally planned) we found the Chama-bound train (pulled by 463) stalled with some mechanical problems. After taking a few pictures we continued to Chama to check into the hotel.
Next day our train was pulled by 463 up the hill. For whatever reason other power was not available for a doubleheader, so the open gondola had to be dropped. There was some concern among the crew that 463 wouldn't even make it up the hill.
463 made it, even with a few delays. It was sure something to hear that engine work its way uphill, for all it was worth. We pulled into Osier around 3:00, eventually pulling into Antonito at about 6:30 that evening. After the bus back to Chama, we met our Colo Spgs friend and had a late dinner at one of the local restaurants.
Next day we took the bus back to Antonito to catch the train. 463 again had the honors, and performed flawlessly. At Osier they added 3 cars to the train for a reserved group, so we again got to hear 463 work its way up from Los Pinos tank to Cumbres Pass. Even though I'm sorry I missed the double header, I think it was worth it to hear the "little engine that could." The people on the C&T were all quite friendly, as well.
After arriving back in Chama, my group headed over to Durango. What a difference between the two towns, and the two railroads. The D&S is the first railroad I've seen with a fancy iron gate closing off the yard throat. We stayed at the Durango Lodge and heard a few engines whistle off during the night.
Next morning we took the 9:00 train to Silverton. That's also quite a trip. The 482 pulled the train. The loco had developed a steam leak such that the engineer was having difficulty seeing, so at Hermosa they stopped and made the head end brakeman ride the pilot until Rockwood. After that things were apparently OK. What an amazing sight the Highline was.
Unfortunately I didn't see much of Silverton because I was busy photographing the trains turning on the wye. "Next time."
We stayed overnight again in Durango and set off next morning with the intention of chasing trains. We left at 9:00, in time to see 486 (I think) pulling that train. Unfortunately we missed the earlier train, and only saw the smoke from it as it passed onto or through the Highline.
We drove north from Durango into Silverton and over Red Mountain Pass to Ouray. Yoweee! what a pass. From there we hit Ridgway's fledgling railroad museum, then travelled over Cerro Summit to Cimarron and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. It's absolutely amazing what those 19th century engineers were able to pull off, building all those railroads in all those places.
We stopped at Cimarron's railroad museum, then travelled on to Gunnison, where we saw the loco and cars in the Pioneer's Museum (but through the fence). The on over Monarch Pass, and watching for the roadbed of the Monarch Branch. Finally we turned north for Trout Creek Pass and saw the DSP&P's grade and Colorado Midland's grade. We pulled into Colorado Springs just as darkness fell.
Between Saturday and the following Tuesday we visited the Georgetown Loop, the Colo RR Museum, the Cripple Creek and Victor, the Pikes Peak Cog, and Caboose Hobbies. Tuesday we boarded Amtrak's Cal Zeph for Chicago, arriving next evening and boarding the Three Rivers for Altoona, PA, arriving on Thursday.
After renting our car in Altoona, we got our hotel in Huntingdon (just 150 feet from the Pennsy's Middle Division main line), then visited Mt Union and Orbisonia. The crew in Orbisonia was hooking up #16's whistle to an air tank, and they gave it a few test pulls.
Friday was spent at the Altoona Railroader's Museum, and railfanning the EBT between Mt Union and Robertsdale.
Saturday was, of course, the EBT Fall Spectacular. My first. And what a show they put on. You haven't lived until you've stood 50 feet away from two steam engines each blowing their own crossing whistle at the same time.
Unfortunately it was over all too soon. We left at four for mid-state Massachussetts, arriving (all very tired) at 1:30 in the morning.
This was my first trip to Colorado, and it was two weeks well spent, in my opinion.
Subject Author Posted

How I spent my Autumn vacation

James C Patten October 09, 2000 05:53PM

Re: How I spent my Autumn vacation

RichB October 09, 2000 08:22PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.