Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1954 D&RGW trip film

January 21, 2005 10:43AM
A gentleman called me a couple of weeks ago, after reading on my web site about the "Riding the Narrow Gauge in the 1950's" program, and stated he was on that trip also(my father was too). He send me VHS copy of his 8mm film he shot on the trip for me to look at. It has some different perspectives and subjects than what my dad shot. A few observations after watching this.
(1) Noticed a building around whiplash curve, near the bottom portion....What was that?
(2) A sign posted near Toltec Gorge(I guess it was at rock tunnel), stating " Passengers do not throw rocks into the gorge as there may be fishermen below" Thought that was interesting, given that the San Juan had not run for 3 years at the time of this 1954 trip.(ALa-Dur-Sil-Ala Memorial day 1954).
(3)shot and graphic for Clarence Jackson, son of Photographer W.H. Jackson. This was on the Durango-Silverton section of the trip.
(4)He shot out of the cupola behind the refer that was right behind the engine, and on at least one occassion was likely up there the same time my dad was.
(5) The standard gauge diesel switched in the refer(used for baggage) at Alamosa, just prior to the 487 backing onto the train for departure
(6) Several good shots of buildings in Silverton
(7) There is a shot of 476 on the train in Silverton which I thought was a bit odd, since on that trip it was in movie garb as #7. Maybe the shot was spliced in later from another trip???
(8) Shot of Raymond Murray-Conductor from Alamosa, while riding the train.
(9) Several good shots of equipment at the NG motel in Alamosa, including the 3-way switch, 318,346,Goose, etc.
Wish I would have had this when we did the program with my dads stuff. This would have been good for the 1954 section for some additional views. Still neat to see it. Small world!
Greg Scholl
Subject Author Posted

1954 D&RGW trip film

Greg Scholl January 21, 2005 10:43AM

Bighorn section house

Josh McNeal January 21, 2005 11:08AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.