Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GLR/Central City/NCNGRR/article ideas etc.

September 03, 2004 07:32PM
Hello All,
For November after we know the absolute situation going on, I'm going to put up an article for our site on the Ashbys' operations at Central City and the Georgetown Loop, etc. I probably should have done this sooner, but an article on a dinky webzine wouldn't have changed any minds with CHS, plus I already had other articles lined up. Anyhow, in the next 2 weeks I am going to try and put together a substantial start to the article documenting both operations. I don't know much about the Central City operation, except that it used the West Side #14 numbered #4 (done by Hal Wilmunder at Camino) and the IRCA #44. Nothing about dates and the tracks used. I was wondering if anybody knew of where I could find on the web, or somebody perhaps that is familiar with the operation (longtime employees?) with the Central City operation. From the GLR opening, I can piece together the rest, but I wanted to run this article as a tribute to both railroads, whether or not the GLR continues to operate or not, etc. I'll also be scrounging for old Central City photographs, (wasn't it called the Colorado Central Narrow Gauge Railroad?).
Secondly, I would like to include a news brief for our Fall Webzine on the Nevada County Narrow Gauge. I understand the Antelope & Western Porter teakettle is operational again. Was curious if any Nevada County NG Museum folks are on here. I'd like to run a small paragraph story on it as well as some photos or something. I'm not familiar with the Antelope & Western either, as to if it operated as a tourist line, etc. There's a photo on the web showing the Richardson Lumber Company Heisler, small thing, and the 0-4-0T on display with what looks like the CSRM in the background. Since Rancho Cordova is supposedly where the locomotives are stored, I presume that perhaps the locomotives were at Railfair '81 or something. Who knows.
If anybody can help me out with either, please contact me off-list at ed.kelley@discoverlivesteam.com
On a side note completely un-GLR, un-equipment related...anybody with railroad ghost stories of any kind...send 'em in for our October special feature. In terms of narrow gauge, Doe River Gorge has stories, as does Roaring Camp, but I need to get my facts straight once again on both.
Thank You and Keep Steaming,
Ed Kelley
Subject Author Posted

GLR/Central City/NCNGRR/article ideas etc.

Ed Kelley September 03, 2004 07:32PM

NCNG

Karasu September 03, 2004 08:58PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.