Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: A nice museum *LINK* *PIC*

July 24, 2004 06:56PM
We visited Duncan a few years ago and went to the BC Forest Discovery Center(either 99 or 00) and they were running the Porter 0-4-0T+T (plus tender). Though I had known about the operation, my Canadian friend reccomended we go for sure. The 0-4-0 locomotive's tanks were labeled for the SS Magoffin Construction Co, while the aux tender was labeled for the Cowichan Valley Railroad (the tourist 3' operation that the museum runs). The museum has been there for a long time and started out as the Cowichan Forest Museum, then BC Forest Museum (a name that I wish it kept). Today it goes by the BC Forest Discovery Center. The main locomotive was a two-truck narrow gauge Shay #1, which worked for the Hillcrest Lumber Company (as built) and later the Osborn Bay Wharf Co. The museum is well laid out and most interesting, with lots of buildings and neat railroad equipment (narrow and standard gauge). In the 1970s they ran the Shay (which operated until maybe 1998 before being sidelined for repairs, and funds could not be raised to perform this maintenance) as well was the no. 25 0-4-0T which is their current operable steamer known as the "Sampson" (which once had a large spark arrestor on it). They also had an older 1906 Vulcan with a balloon stack which used to operate, but I don't know where it is (probably stored in the narrow gauge enginehouse, or disassembled). When we were there, they towed Hillcrest #9, a standard gauge restored and perhaps still operable 2-truck Climax which was at Railfair '91 in Sacramento. They also have an older climax on display inside the museum as well as a Shay on display in front of the museum which is made from a variety of parts from different shays I understand (though it is Bloedel Stewart & Welch #1). It's not in good shape.
The museum is very interesting and its a beautiful drive there from Victoria and over Mt. Malahat. The ride is short, but most interesting and scenic. There's also a playground for kids with a small gas critter for them to climb on. The trestle over Lake Cowichan is the highlight of the ride.
The museum and its buildings, as well as the interesting collection of steam/gas/diesel locomotives and logging equipment/speeders, there is a well-stocked gift shop. It is a great museum and I reccomend it, it's only an hour or so from Victoria (reachable by some airlines, or else, float plane/catamaran/ferry from Vancouver or Seattle).
When we were there, Ross Rowland's Pacific Wilderness Railway was still operating from near the VIA station in Victoria. We did not visit it, but we drove by.
According to the website, this is their 40th year of operation. Go visit them and have a great time. It's not always steam, so check first. There are lots of other things to do in Victoria as well. In addition (nowhere near Victoria really), there is a forest museum in Prince George, BC and nearby is a most interesting 2' gauge narrow gauge line in Fort George Park which uses a 2' Davenport 0-4-0 which was beautifully restored and hauls a few amusement-style coaches. It helped construct the Grand Trunk Pacific (ultimately CN). The photo I have attatched appears in my world narrow gauge guidebook (the photographer was nice enough to let us use it), the "Guide to Miniature and Narrow Gauge Railroads", which I am in the process of working on a 3rd edition at the moment and changing from a loose leaf to a bound format. If anybody knows of any good publishers that would be interested, please let me know.
Keep Steaming,
Ed Kelley
Subject Author Posted

B C Forest Museum

Ted Miles July 20, 2004 12:09PM

A nice museum

El Coke July 22, 2004 03:00PM

Re: A nice museum *LINK* *PIC*

Ed Kelley July 24, 2004 06:56PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.