Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The real identity of 1499

July 16, 2004 12:16PM
Maybe this is kind of trivial, but most of you know I'm a little obsessive about even regular freight cars...anyway
I've been wondering for a long time what the real number of 1499 was. I had thought that maybe it was 1719 because that car disappeared from the C&TS in the early days along with a 6600 series flat, and the flat turned up on the GLRR. Well, wrong series...
Then I thought it might have been 1187, which had been part of the Magic Mountain trainset. Until I found out it was dismantled...
I got a little more scientific this time (sort of) and went to Bill Whites site to look up the stake pattern on it, since it seems that's the closest thing to fingerprints for a gondola. Well, I looked at the diagrams he made, went to Bob Sloans book on freight cars and looked at his listings. The only car that could have matched both was the 14x8 car in his book. He notes that it probably was 1428, but the third digit had been unreadable. Well, I went back to Bill Whites site and looked at his accounting records for the 1000 series, and the only 14x8 car left when the line quit was 1488. Since this car obviously had pretty bad paint to not be identified, and this was the only gondola on Sloans list that had a partial number and the stakes match, I think it's a compelling case for 1488.
Comments? Anyone care to prove me wrong somehow? I'd like to see if I've got to hit the drawing board again...
Subject Author Posted

The real identity of 1499

Grant Houston July 16, 2004 12:16PM

A "hail Mary"

El Coke July 16, 2004 08:44PM

Re: A "hail Mary"

Grant Houston July 17, 2004 11:53AM

The last place

El Coke July 17, 2004 02:07PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.