Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CRRM Calendar Review

August 02, 2000 12:59PM
First let me say I don't sell calendars so this is an unbiased opinion of the 2001 Colorado RR Musuem Calendar by Cedco Publishing. Overall I thought It had good variety images and not all were San Juan extension as I was led to believe.
Cover: 483 with loads at Axtec on the LAST run to Farmington 8/31/68 on small wooden trestle. I've never seen a water bag so low on a cab before(Lower right corner). Clear image, drifting smoke.
January:Rotary OY Big Horn 3/5/62 by Jackson Thode. Stopped to clear the blade, no exhaust from the chute, but wheel spinning blurred. Nice light and all Rio Grande lettering marks this as an in-service shot for sure. Image clear but looks like it could be anywhere on the railroad, in less than a foot of snow.
February: Nice shot of 486 At Maysville, CO with empty gons bound for quarry at Monarch. Nice bit of black smoke, slightly elevated position showing the whole valley behind the train. Well lit and might have been a better cover shot. Robert Le Massena photo
March:Rare shot of #315 in steam at Durango 6/15/41. Appears to be sitting in front of freight house. Rare color image, not a great day, nor particularly exquisite.
Aprilgrinning smileyistant shot(probably from the highway) of 498 taking water at Bondad Tank(North of Farmington). Side note: We chased the train before this in 1968 with 478. 498 shot well lit but somewhat distant. Pulling empty flats.
May: 483 departs Salida with empty gons Summer 1955. #480 in background with Caboose ready to couple on rear as helper. 483 looks great and has pilot plow. Coal tower visible in background in the yard. Nice image, and one of my favorites in the calendar.
June: Al Chione photo of 493 and 483 as mid-train helper at Phanton Curve. Superb image as this was a hike-in shot, taken above the curve with the pinnacles between the engines as they head west. June 13,1968(second RT of the year I believe, and right after we were there) This one worth the price of the calendar in my opinion. Interesting mix of freight up front, pipe behind the helper.
July: Richard Kindig 476 at Tefts Spur(shows crossing a truss bridge) returning from Silverton May 30, 1964. Nice angle slightly elevated, but there is no sun whatsoever. Despite that the water looks great and there is some white steam from the engine, and the yellow cars stand out. This one rates a B overall with A for composition and C for lighting.
August: 480 light engine, switching the Monarch quary 7/17/56. Not much special here although part of the mine is shown in the background, the brakeman is riding the front of the engine, and the toolbox is quite noticeable on the front of 480. Good clean image. By James Buckley
September: RGS 461 during dismantling operations at Lizzard Head according to caption. Has 2-door building in foreground, and mountains in background. Engine partially blocked by remains of outhouse,etc. More scenic and rustic than a good train shot. By Jack Pfeifer
October: Panoramic view of Durango Yard taken from southeast if memory serves me. Summer 1952 #453 shuffles the yellow cars of the then tri-weekly Silverton mixed(train in distant). I really like this shot since you see where everything was, the yard, the depot, the water tank, car shop, Coal Tower, Roundhouse barely visible, and beautifully shot image with yellow buttercups(or whatever??) in forground. Image is sunny, but a tad washed as it shows its age. Great shot for the modelers too.
November: 493 and 483 doubleheading(unusual since earlier in the day they were running as Mid-train at Phanton Curve). 7/23/68 approaching Los Pinos(before the loop) Clear shot with good color, no sun, but nice image as 483 has nice black smoke and looking "good". The end was near! Al Chione image
December: 498 stopped at Cumbres with westbound freight 2/20/53. About a foot of snow on the ground and snow on the top of the pilot plow where she hit some drifts en route. First three cars are shown(Tank cars)as train is next to section house(or is this the old depot?) Nice winter scene for December with steam oozing from the engine in 4 or 5 places. E.J. Haley Photo.
Also inside front cover there is an extra shot of Col RR Museums Rio Grande 346 in the snow on a short freight. Nice image, good light, and color shot 12/5/94. Broadside view in cold conditions is very nice. Ronald C. Hill photo
Sorry to get so windy guys. Bottom line...Give Bob Zorn an order or someone else who sells these. The Phantom Curve shot is worth the $12.95 or whatever it is.
Steamingly,
Greg Scholl
[www.gregschollvideo.com]
Subject Author Posted

CRRM Calendar Review

Greg Scholl August 02, 2000 12:59PM

Thanks Greg-Nice Review

Bob August 02, 2000 01:28PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.