Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: New Hampshire Narrow Gauge: The Mt. Washington Cog Railway >>>Photo Album<<<

October 08, 2020 11:37AM
Scott Turner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> One comment/question on the operation. I realize
> the slanted boilers are necessary to keep water
> more level in the boiler on the steep grades, but
> looking at the pics in the shop area begs the
> question of how they keep the crown sheet covered
> when the locomotives are on level track.

Good question Scott! The good thing is that the level spot you see at the shop complex is probably the only completely level spot on the railroad, except perhaps at the summit platform. I think this issue represents one of the many pieces of job-specific knowledge that the cog engineers have and I suspect they have to be very careful when down at the base. The angled boiler is more to keep the far end of the fire tubes covered than anything else. The crown sheet on these engines is set a bit lower than might be apparent. If you take a look at the photo which shows the cab environment, you can see where the gauge cocks are and I'm betting that the crown sheet is just below the lower one. I suspect that on relatively level track, the water over the crown sheet is pretty low, and it is much higher on the hill. Note the size of the water glass. It is huge and has lots of range. Also, the steam dome is large and the dry pipe is way up high. The next time I am up at The Cog, I will try to remember to ask one of the guys about how much of a juggling match the water level issue is on the flatter sections of track.

> OK, one more comment. Your images do very well at
> documenting how much things changed from the
> '08/'09 time frame to the present. While there's
> much to miss in the passing of regular steam-only
> operations and the funkiness (for lack of a better
> word) that existed then, its clear that the entire
> physical plant is in MUCH better condition today,
> including the remaining steamers.

The folks at The Cog have been working on infrastructure for years. First, it was eliminating the manual switches and building the big, long passing loop. Then it was the diesel locomotives, something they are still doing today. There is at least one more diesel under construction. That would bring the total fleet to 8 diesels and 2 steamers....10 engines. That's the most they have ever had. Lately, it's the rail replacement program and that big track construction car. I should also mention that the railroad is building a brand new, 35,000 sq. foot shop building, just west of the present complex. That will enable them to store all rolling stock indoors, and perform all maintenance on site. Currently, when the diesels need work, they are trucked to a facility in Berlin, NH. That will no longer be required when the new shop is done. About 10 years ago, when all of us steam enthusiasts were crying in our beer, Al LaPrade, the Chief Mechanical Officer at the time said that the advent of the diesels will contribute more than anything else to both the improvement of the railroad infrastructure AND the preservation of some steam operations. Obviously, the place is making money, and both of his predictions are appearing to be coming true.

/Kevin Madore
Subject Author Posted

New Hampshire Narrow Gauge: The Mt. Washington Cog Railway >>>Photo Album<<<

KevinM October 07, 2020 08:41PM

Re: New Hampshire Narrow Gauge: The Mt. Washington Cog Railway >>>Photo Album<<<

jameswaite October 08, 2020 04:05AM

jcpatten October 08, 2020 04:54AM

KevinM October 08, 2020 06:43AM

Sharrod October 08, 2020 08:48AM

KevinM October 08, 2020 09:34AM

WarrenD October 08, 2020 12:34PM

round_house October 08, 2020 06:49AM

elecuyer October 08, 2020 07:48AM

Scott Turner October 08, 2020 09:26AM

tgbcvr October 08, 2020 09:47AM

Stewart Rhine October 08, 2020 10:26AM

KevinM October 08, 2020 11:37AM

Scott Turner October 09, 2020 08:03AM

Mt. Washington Cog Railway B&M Transfer Station

KevinM October 08, 2020 11:59AM

Re: Mt. Washington Cog Railway B&M Transfer Station

jcpatten October 09, 2020 09:43AM

NNG: Map of B&M Branch from Fabyans to Base Station Attachments

elecuyer October 09, 2020 05:07PM

Re: NNG: Map of B&M Branch from Fabyans to Base Station

jcpatten October 10, 2020 06:05PM

Re: NNG: Map of B&M Branch from Fabyans to Base Station Attachments

Bob Meckley October 11, 2020 07:30PM

jameswaite October 12, 2020 12:24AM

elecuyer October 12, 2020 08:48AM

BrianJ October 08, 2020 09:00PM

Re: New Hampshire Narrow Gauge: The Mt. Washington Cog Railway >>>Photo Album<<< Attachments

randyr October 08, 2020 10:37PM

Sharrod October 09, 2020 09:27AM

KevinM October 09, 2020 12:04PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login