Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Geese(Gooses?) Again

March 31, 2004 09:23AM
The thread below got me to thinking....a dangerous thing when I'm supposed to be working instead of perusing the NGDF.
The "Galloping Goose" moniker has mostly been used synonomously with the RGS motors and the similar San Cristobal RR unit. M.H.Farrel attributed the term to the wife of a RGS employee.
However.......
Thinking back 35 years or more, I can recall my grandparents' stories of depression-era homesteading in west-central Idaho, and remember them talking about catching the "galloping goose" for accasional trips to the county seat. Their "goose" was a McKeen Motor car that ran on the Pacific & Idaho Northern, a standard-gauge short line that ran North from Weiser, ID.
The RGS Geese were built beginning around 1930, and my Grandmother's story dates to about the same time. It seems unlikely, then, that the term "galloping goose" could have originated with the RGS and come into common usage across the remote west in so short a time.
I submit then, that "Galloping Goose" did not originate with the RGS motors but probably predates them by a good bit. I've never heard the term used in an Eastern context, so would suspect it's an old western colloquialism; a generic term for any rail bus or rail motor car. It may have even originated with the McKeen cars which do have a most distinctive appearance.
Any thoughts, arguements, takers,??........hmmm, this one might ruffle a few feathers........
J
Subject Author Posted

Geese(Gooses?) Again

Jeff A. March 31, 2004 09:23AM

Re: Geese(Gooses?) Again

Ken Martin March 31, 2004 02:06PM

blastphemy

jorge gigante March 31, 2004 09:01PM

AMEN BROTHER

god April 01, 2004 12:53AM

C W Craven April 01, 2004 02:17PM

Herb Kelsey April 01, 2004 05:08PM

Jon Digerness April 30, 2004 04:06PM

Jeff A. April 30, 2004 04:50PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.