Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Atmospheric, Eye Catching, Number 2.thumbs up

February 15, 2020 03:24PM
Kevin Cook Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice, somewhat similar to the Southern Pacific's
> Skyline Castings

I don't know about the SP, but NZR used those casings on some of the 4-8-4's because the feedwater piping was apparently so ugly that nobody could stand to look at the things. In effect NZR stuck a bag over the locomotive's face. I find that notion amusing! The shrouding was later removed from most (all?) engines so equipped when the feedwater heaters were replaced with exhaust steam injectors. I do not know whether the restored engines that have the shrouds were also re-equipped with feedwater heaters or if they wear the shrouds solely for historic purposes. The casing emphasizes the already block-like profile of the K, which was designed and built to the then-current limits of NZR's loading gauge. It's a husky and brutish looking machine but it fit a lot of power into a space almost a couple feet narrower than the maximum permitted width of the D&RGW heavy mikados. Like the lighter J class, they were perfectly capable of running at and sustaining 65-70 MPH speeds in normal service, faster for bursts.

Two tank cars suggests a route without much opportunity for refills, and I notice the usual assortment of NZR coach types in the consist.
Subject Author Posted

Atmospheric, Eye Catching, Number 2.thumbs up Attachments

Chris Walker February 14, 2020 03:38PM

Kevin Cook February 15, 2020 02:44PM

Tom Moungovan February 15, 2020 03:11PM

James February 15, 2020 03:24PM

Re: Atmospheric, Eye Catching, Moving Up Cass Bank.

Chris Walker February 15, 2020 03:40PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login