Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Cab Ride

August 13, 2019 06:54AM
I would echo Samuel's caution about bringing expensive cameras and lenses along for a cab ride on a coal-burner. The environment is not very friendly to electronics and glass. I have brought DSLRs, but I typically keep it as small as possible, so I can protect it physically, in a small case, when not shooting. That means removing battery grips and using a wide prime lens (20mm) instead of a zoom. Most types of zoom lenses are "air pumpers" and they can bring dust into the body of your camera. A coal-burner cab is a VERY dusty environment, and that dust is also very corrosive. Get that stuff inside the body of your camera and it will eventually destroy it, not to mention covering your sensor with abrasive dust. Don't even THINK about changing lenses in the cab. A friend of mine destroyed a Canon 5DM2 by changing lenses in the cab of a NG coal-burner.

Now, if you're riding in the cab of an oil-burner.....never mind! Oil-burners are a much cleaner ride. I still recommend going small and simple. Bring a small case to physically protect your camera when not shooting.

/Kevin Madore
Subject Author Posted

Cab Ride Attachments

round_house August 12, 2019 05:34PM

Russo Loco August 12, 2019 06:54PM

round_house August 13, 2019 03:18AM

KevinM August 13, 2019 06:54AM

Roger Hogan August 13, 2019 07:52AM

Re: Differences in K36 controls

cdaspit August 13, 2019 09:35AM

Re: Differences in K36 controls

Carl T. Henderson August 13, 2019 11:01AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login