Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sumpter Valley Fall Photo Train >> Photo Album<<

December 10, 2018 07:24AM
Folks,

It's taken me a few weeks to work through the backlog of unedited photos from a series of charters that I attended this past fall, but I am finally getting ahead of the curve. One of the real gems this year was the 2-day event that took place on the Sumpter Valley Railroad in Eastern Oregon. The event was blessed with absolutely gorgeous weather on both days, and the volunteers and their equipment put on a great show for a crowd of serious photographers. This year's event was particularly well-attended, because a large number of photogs were in Oregon for a series of charters, with this event being the kick-off.

For those who haven't been to Sumpter Valley, you need to put the Fall Photo Train on your to-do list. Yes, like most of the great heritage railroads, it is a bit out of the way, on the eastern edge of Oregon, about a 2.5 hr drive north of Boise, ID. The line has 5 miles of track, roughly on original right of way. In the early part of the 20th century, the land along the Powder River was extensively dredged for gold. Those who frequent Google Earth may be a little put-off by what they see from the satellite view, but that view is very deceiving. In the years since the dredging, the area has developed a new ecosystem and it photographs remarkably well. The railroad has 2 indigenous steam locomotives and a great selection of freight cars. Two trains are typically featured on both days of the event. The cost for the entire weekend is less than half what you'd pay at several other annual photo shoot events that are more well-publicized, but the photography there is top notch. The sunrise opportunities at the line's base of operation in McEwen are among the best of any place I have been.

I've put together a Flickr Album that provides a sampling of what we saw. The bright blue skies and vivid fall color provided an excellent backdrop, and with Photographer Pete Lerro attending as a paid participant, we had the added bonus this year of some night shots and portraits. If you have a couple of minutes, take a look and see what I mean. This place is a hidden gem. One of the top 4-5 in the country in my estimation:

Sumpter Valley Fall Photo Train 2018

Thanks,

/Kevin Madore
Subject Author Posted

Sumpter Valley Fall Photo Train >> Photo Album<<

KevinM December 10, 2018 07:24AM

Re: Sumpter Valley Fall Photo Train >> Photo Album<<

LOGGERHOGGER December 10, 2018 07:36AM

KevinM December 10, 2018 07:43AM

Jeff Taylor December 10, 2018 11:16AM

Andrew Roth December 11, 2018 05:13AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login