Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Chili Line 1940 Sheep Rescue

November 24, 2018 04:51PM
I originally posted what is below on the TheSantaFeBranchChiliLine@groups.io back in April. I thought I would repost it here since today is the anniversary for the Chili Line sheep rescue. I’ve added some of the comments that were made to the post that I thought helped. It is long but I hope you will enjoy it.

First, I would like to acknowledge Jimmy Blouch for publishing his dispatcher sheets, without which the movement of stock cars for the dates of the events on the D&RGW narrow gauge would have been hard to determine.

What started this was a section of Chappell’s Chili Line book.

To Santa Fe by Narrow Gauge: the D&RG’s "Chili Line” by Gordon Chappell, 1983 (reprint), p. 43

“One episode that provided the opposition with some ammunition occurred in November 1940, when a sudden snowstorm around Mount San Antonio stranded a large number of sheep. This area was the only section of the “Chili Line” that received enough snow to require the occasional use of a rotary snowplow, and this 1940 storm was sufficient to close all the highways, although the railroad could still operate. As a consequence, some 90 carloads of snow-bound sheep were rescued, and all concerned with the proceedings agreed that without the railroad, this large flock of sheep would have died. “

First, let’s have a little background to the story. In November of 1940, New Mexico was hit with several snowstorms in one week. The first started on November 18th in which lite snow was reported across the state. By 10:00 am on the 18th, Chama reported four inches of snow (Santa Fe New Mexican). On November 19th The New Mexican reported that more snow fell across the state and all highways were opened. Between 3 to 6 inches reported around the state and that this was one of the heaviest November snow falls on record (Nov. 19th, Santa Fe New Mexican). On November 23rd, a second snow storm started. By the 24th, Cumbres, US 289 highway was closed (the railroad was open). Tres Piedras was reporting deep snow. At Valley Grande (that’s the area just west of Los Alamos) five forest Service workers were stranded at Dome Lookout Station with one foot of snow around the station and two to three feet of snow between them and the road out (November 24, 1940, Santa Fe New Mexican). The state had 60 plows out trying to clear the roads (most were closed).

Story from the Monday issue November 25, 1940, Santa Fe New Mexican:

“Relief Train to Rescue Sheep

ANTONIO, Colo. Nov. 25 (AP) – A relief train of 48 stock cars headed into northern New Mexico today to complete the rescue of 8,000 sheep marooned by a three-foot snowfall
in the region’s range country.

The Denver & Rio Grande Western railroad reported that a bulldozer and 20 horses were used to break trails on which to drive the storm-harassed sheep to loading cutes along the railroad’s narrow-gauge Antonio-Santa Fe branch. Eleven cars of sheep were brought out of the storm territory Saturday and 11 more yesterday. J D Frazey, Antonito newspaper man, said most of the sheep undoubtedly would have perished of cold and starvation if they had not been hauled out.”

On November 22 there was a movement of 11 empty single deck stock cars and 1 chute (for loading the stock) to No Agua, where loaded and returned to Antonito. On November 24, 11 stock cars were loaded at No Agua and moved to Estrella. Then, the big move on November 25;

Alamosa extra 476 west, to Antonito, change to engine 473 at Antonito, then to No Agua on Santa Fe branch to get snowbound sheep
Conductor Duxstadt
Engineer Marsh
Depart Alamosa 6:15 AM with 1 load 23 empties
Arrive Antonito 7:20 AM with 1 load 23 empties, 1 hour 45 minutes switching and change engines
Train No. 426 with engine 471
Conductor Willis
Engineer Arnell
Depart Santa Fe 10:00 AM with 3 loads
1 merchandise
Espanola 10 minutes switching
Arrive No Agua time not shown, 3 hours 20 minutes loading sheep
It appears No. 426 and extra 473 east were combined at No Agua, depart time not shown
No. 426 arrive Antonito 8:30 PM with 3 loads 2 empties
Extra 473 arrive Antonito 8:30 PM with 48 loads 1 empty, 35 minutes switching, tie up
Conductor and Crew, engineer Marsh and fireman go dead, deadhead to Alamosa on extra 473 east
Conductor Willis and Engineer Arnell take over extra 473 east, take No. 426 equipment to Alamosa
Depart Antonito 9:05 PM with 2 loads 1 empty
Arrive Alamosa 10:10 PM with 2 loads 1 empty
Alamosa Antonito turn with engine 773, to Antonito to unload No Agua stock
Conductor Curtis
Engineer Owenby
Depart Alamosa 4:30 PM with 2 empties
Arrive Antonito 5:30 PM with 2 empties, 40 minutes switching, 6:10 PM to 8:30 PM wait for stock train to arrive, 45 minutes stockmen eat, 9:15 PM to 1:50 AM, 4 hours 35 minutes, unload 45 cars sheep, 1:50 AM to 3:10 AM switching, 3:10 AM to 3:50 AM wait for extra 486 west (of Nov 26)
Extra 773 east depart Antonito 3:50 AM with 6 loads 5 empties
5 standard gauge cars sheep for Alamosa
Arrive Alamosa 4:50 AM (Nov 26) with 6 loads 5 empties

Note that Extra 476 left Alamosa with 1 load and 23 empties, but arrive at No Agua with 48 cars sheep, 1 car horses, and 2 cars camp outfit (it is assumed that the other cars were added at Antonito during the hour and 45 minutes switching).

There was another move out of No Agua on November 27 of 11 stock cars. After November 27, 1940, things got back to normal on the Santa Fe Branch.

There are some discrepancy with number of sheep rescued in the Santa Fe New Mexican and the Senate abandonment hearings (below). The New Mexican report 8,000 sheep rescued whereas the hearing reported about 10,000. An estimate of the number of sheep rescued can be approximated with number of cars used in the rescue. In Ferrell’s “Silver San Juan”, p204 states that a two deck stock car would hold 155 sheep. Crum’s book “The Rio Grande Southern”, p310 (second edition) says that a two deck stock car could hold 160 lambs (80 each deck). In “Taking Stock”, Victor J. Stone on Pages 240 and 224 has two examples of the D&RGW Live Stock Reports that show sheep headcount as being 116, 117, 118 and 144 per car. So with these with Ferrell and Crum sources that are very close (sheep vs lambs), we can go with the 155 or 154 with 77 for each deck (or 77 for a single deck stock car) as high end. With Stone’s the 144 (72 for a single deck) per car is close to the other sources and will be used as a low-end estimate. With that, we have 11 single deck cars (November 22) and maybe 70 double deck stock cars with sheep (11 on November 24 and November 27, and 48 on November 25). That would give us about 11,550 (high) to 10,872 (low) sheep. That’s if you include the 11 cars from November 27. I don’t know for sure that all cars were a double deck, thus the number could be lower. The only reason to believe that they were all double deck is that the dispatcher sheets for November 22, states that the cars as being a single deck, whereas the dispatcher sheets only list the other cars as stock or “cars empty”. Even so, I believe this gives us high-end numbers of the sheep rescued. So my figures are most likely are high. I’m assuming that Live Stock Reports were done on all shipping for the rescue, but I’ve not found them yet (since this was a rescue, they may not have done any). This would give us an actual count.

Now for what I’ve not been able to verify or still needs to be done. Chappell said that there were some 90 loads, whereas I show only 81. Why the report of 90? Chappell used the New Mexican for some of his sources and in the November 25th, AP report you had:

“Eleven cars of sheep were brought out of the storm territory Saturday (November 23) and 11 more yesterday (November 24).”

I included Jimmy Blouch’s transcribing of dispatcher sheets for Saturday, November 23 for the area and the only thing I saw was that Chama had 23 loads 1 empty, includes 11 cars stock from west leave and that went to Alamosa. I believe that the 11 from Chama was what the New Mexican was reporting (going west) and Chappell assumed that the 11 for November 23 was bond for the Chili Line area. You would then get 91 cars, include the one horse car on November 25 and you would have 92 cars of stock. This is a guess on my part since I haven’t been able to contact Chappell about it.

“The Denver & Rio Grande Western railroad reported that a bulldozer and 20 horses were used to break trails on which to drive the storm-harassed sheep to loading cutes along the railroad’s narrow-gauge Antonio-Santa Fe branch.”

I can come up where the horses come from (the horse car on November 25) but I’ve found nothing to verify the bulldozer. I would like to see a copy of the Denver & Rio Grande Western’s employee’s magazine on the rescue to see what it described because it’s not on the dispatcher sheets.

Wes Pfarner pointed out the following that Michael Lomert had posted on The Santa Fe Branch Chili Line IO group could explain the bulldozer.

“TRES PIEDRAS — The only depot building on the northern end of the Chili Line was at Tres Piedras. Its water tower is the most visible remembrance of the Chili Line on the Mesa today.

“In 1891, the railroad listed a four room depot, two platforms totaling 2,520 feet in length, a privy, a coal house, a coal shed, two water tanks, a pump house, and a Haliday wind mill as the stations assets. These were valued at $3,980. The stop had a twenty—eight car siding capacity.

“The Chili Line is deserted today, but old time residents still remember when their lives were affected by the railroad. Mr. Quinlan recalls that in 1939, heavy snows at Thanksgiving threatened to kill his sheep around Pot Mountain. Quinlan and his helper drove toward Skarda in an attempt to come to the aid of the sheep, and their truck got stuck. By chance, the operator of a bulldozer cutting through the Skofield Escarpment was nearby. Quinlan asked the man for help in clearing a path to the sheep. As men and machine crushed through the snow, Quinlan thought of the tank crews fighting in Europe, and felt that he had tasted something of their experience. A path was made and the sheep were brought safely back to No Agua. There they were picked up on the Chili Line. The locomotive charged at the snowdrifts and carried men and sheep to Antonito and safety.”

Source: "AYER Y HOY en Taos", Yesterday and Today in Taos County and Northern New Mexico, A publication of the Taos County Historical Society, Winter 1986

I found Pot Mountain, which is better known by the Spanish name Cerra de la Olla (Pot Mountain), is about 9 miles east of No Agua Peaks. I would need to check if there was a bad snow storm in 1939 or could they have gotten year confused with 1940. The description fits the stock rescue in 1940.

My main sources of information have been Jimmy’s Blouch’s transcribing of the dispatcher sheets and the New Mexican (from November 18 through the end of November for both). I did check the Albuquerque Journal for the same time period but I could not find anything new to add. I would like to check some of the Colorado areas newspapers but this would require a trip up to maybe Adam State University and I’ve not been able to schedule a trip up there yet.

The next section is the dispatcher sheets for the area affected and what I could find on the rescue in the abandonment hearing. The amount of sheep rescued varied from 8,000 to 10,000 but people seemed to have forgotten the November 27 movement, basically because the Newspaper report was on the November 25 since it had the largest car moment (I estimate most likely high at 7,000 to 7,400 for just that one day and which makes for a better story). The one thing to note is the testimony from Mr. Faus. He was the assistant manager for a local trucking firm. Basically, he said that they could not rescue the sheep with the trucks he had.

November 22, 1940, Friday
SANTA FE BRANCH
Train No. 425 with engine 473
Conductor Hines
Engineer Baskett
Swing brakeman Hartnett to Embudo, return as swing brakeman on No. 426
Depart Antonito 8:40 AM with 3 loads 11 empties
1 chute (for loading stock)
11 empty single decks
No Agua 10 minutes switching
Espanola 5 minutes switching
Arrive Santa Fe 4:00 PM with 2 loads 1 empty
Conductor Willis
Engineer Arnell
Swing brakeman Hartnett (on Embudo)
Depart Santa Fe 10:00 AM with 2 loads
Taos Jct 10 minutes switching
No Agua 35 minutes load 11 cars sheep
Arrive Antonito 5:25 PM with 15 loads

November 23, 1940 Saturday
Chama extra 488 east with helper engines 481 and 489
Conductor Curtis
Engine 488 Owenby
Engine 481 Turney
Engine 489 Dodds
Depart Chama 12:01 AM with 23 loads 1 empty, includes 11 cars stock from west
Arrive Cumbres 2:05 AM with 23 loads 1 empty, 15 minutes helper engines off, air and turn helper
Engine 489 depart Cumbres 2:15 AM light for Chama
Engine 481 depart Cumbres 2:10 AM light for Alamosa
Extra 488 east depart Cumbres 2:15 AM with 23 loads 1 empty
Arrive Alamosa 6:30 AM with 23 loads 1 empty

November 24 1940, Sunday
Alamosa extra 481 west, to No Agua on Santa Fe branch to get snowbound sheep and take to Estrella
Conductor Curtis
Engineer A S Johnson
Depart Alamosa 4:35 AM with 31 empties
Arrive Antonito 5:50 AM with 31 empties, 1 hour 10 minutes switching and clean switches
Depart Antonito 7:00 AM with 12 empties
Arrive Tres Piedras 8:40 AM with caboose, 15 minutes clean switches, 10 minutes turn engine
Depart Tres Piedras 9:15 AM
Arrive No Agua time not shown, 2 hours load 11 cars sheep
Depart No Agua time not shown
Arrive Antonito 1:05 PM with 11 loads 1 empty, 15 minutes switching, 20 minutes eat
Depart Antonito 1:40 PM with 12 loads 2 empties
Estrella 1 hour 35 minutes unload 11 cars sheep
Arrive Alamosa 4:25 PM with 1 load 13 empties
Estrella is at M 259.6 after La Jara and before Henry and Alamosa 251.7

November 25, 1940, Monday
SANTA FE BRANCH
Alamosa extra 476 west, to Antonito, change to engine 473 at Antonito, then to No Agua on Santa Fe branch to get snowbound sheep
Conductor Duxstadt
Engineer Marsh
Depart Alamosa 6:15 AM with 1 load 23 empties
Arrive Antonito 7:20 AM with 1 load 23 empties, 1 hour 45 minutes switching and change engines
Train No. 425 with engine 476
Conductor Hines
Engineer Baskett
Depart Antonito 8:50 AM with 5 loads
2 coal Espanola
1 merchandise Santa Fe
Taos Jct 20 minutes mail, baggage and express
Embudo 10 minutes mail
Espanola 15 minutes mail, 10 minutes switching
Arrive Santa Fe 4:00 PM with 2 loads
Extra 473 west depart Antonito 9:05 AM
Tres Piedras arrive and depart times not shown, turn
Arrive No Agua 11:00 AM, 8 hours load 45 cars sheep, 1 car horses and 2 cars camp outfit
At 2:00 PM conductor Duxstadt reported 21 cars loaded
Conductor Willis
Engineer Arnell
1 merchandise
Arrive No Agua time not shown, 3 hours 20 minutes loading sheep
It appears No. 426 and extra 473 east were combined at No Agua, depart time not shown
No. 426 arrive Antonito 8:30 PM with 3 loads 2 empties
Extra 473 arrive Antonito 8:30 PM with 48 loads 1 empty, 35 minutes switching, tie up
Conductor and Crew, engineer Marsh and fireman go dead, deadhead to Alamosa on extra 473 east (edit 11-25-12)
Conductor Willis and Engineer Arnell take over extra 473 east, take No. 426 equipment to Alamosa
Depart Antonito 9:05 PM with 2 loads 1 empty
Arrive Alamosa 10:10 PM with 2 loads 1 empty

November 25, 1940, Monday

This second reporting of November 25, 1940 was included because Jimmy Blouch posted in response to a question about the sheep rescue on April 18, 2007. I included it because it has a little more detail.
Extra 476
Called Alamosa 3:00 AM Depart Alamosa 6:15 AM
Arrive Antonito 7:20 AM Depart Antonito 9:05 AM with engine 473
Arrive Antonito 8:30 PM Depart Antonito 9:05 PM
Arrive and tie up Alamosa 10:10 PM
Conductor report:
Extra 473 turn
20" Alamosa engine on train
10" Alamosa air
1'45" Antonito switch and change engine (depart Alamosa with engine 476, change to 473 for rest of trip. 476 used on train 425)
11:00 AM to 7:00 PM No Agua load 47 stock and 1 camp outfit
35" Antonito switching tie up 9:05 PM
Dead head to Alamosa
(Crew from train 426 took engine 473, 2 loads and 1 empty to Alamosa, consist from train 426 as train 116 departed Antontio prior to arrival of 426)
Portion of Conductor report Extra 773 Antonito Turn
Antonito
6:10 PM 8:30 PM wait for stock train to arrive
8:30 PM 9:15 PM stockmen eat
9:15 PM 1:50 AM unload 45 cars sheep
(It is possible the conductor miscounted as the count on train sheet shows 48 loads)

November 27, 1940
Extra 481
Called Alamosa 4:00 AM Depart 4:25 AM
Arrive Antonito 5:35 AM Depart 6:20 AM
Arrive Tres Piedras 11:00 AM Depart 12:30 PM
Arrive Antonito 2:20 PM Depart 3:00 PM
Arrive Alamosa 5:40 PM Tie up 5:55 PM
Conductor report
Extra 481 Tres Piedras turn
25" Alamosa engine and air
10" Antonito coal and water
35" Antonito switching
1' 30" Tres Piedras turn and load 5 ?
10" No Agua pick up 11 sheep
20" Antonito switching
20" Antonito eat
20" La Jara switching
1' Estrella unload 11 cars sheep
15" Alamosa away

Tuesday November 26 1940
SANTA FE BRANCH
Santa Fe cloudy, strong wind
Train No. 425 with engine 471
Conductor Willis
Engineer Arnell
Depart Antonito 8:52 AM with 5 loads
1 company coal Santa Fe
1 flour Santa Fe
1 merchandise Espanola
Arrive Santa Fe 4:00 PM with 4 loads
Train No. 426 with engine 476
Conductor Hines
Engineer Baskett
1 gas Espanola
Taos Jct 5 minutes switching
Arrive Antonito 5:15 PM with 2 loads 2 empties

Wednesday November 27, 1940
SANTA FE BRANCH
Alamosa extra 481 west, Tres Piedras turn, get stock
Conductor Curtis
Engineer Owenby
Depart Alamosa 4:35 AM with 1 load 17 empties
Arrive Antonito 5:35 Am with 1 load 17 empties, 10 minutes coal & water, 35 minutes switching
Depart Antonito 6:20 AM with 18 empties
(Not noted, 11 cars sheep loaded at No Agua on westbound trip)
Arrive Tres Piedras 11:00 AM with 6 empties, 1 hour 30 minutes turn and load 5 cars cattle, for Denver
Depart Tres Piedras 12:30 PM with 5 loads
No Agua 10 minutes pick up 11 cars sheep for Estrella
Arrive Antonito 2:20 PM with 16 loads, 20 minutes switching, 20 minutes eat
Depart Antonito 3:00 PM with 16 loads 5 empties
La Jara 20 minutes switching
Estrella 1 hour unload 11 cars sheep
Arrive Alamosa 5:40 PM with 7 loads 17 empties
Train No. 425 with engine 476
Conductor Hines
Engineer Baskett
Depart Antonito 8:23 AM with 3 loads
1 merchandise Espanola
Espanola 5 minutes switching
Arrive Santa Fe 4:00 PM with 2 loads 1 empty
Conductor Willis
Engineer Arnell
Depart Santa Fe 10:00 AM with 3 loads 1 empty
1 merchandise Alamosa
1 empty gon
Arrive Antonito 5:15 PM with 3 loads 2 empties

ABANDONMENT OF THE DENVER AND RIO GRANDE WESTERN RAILROAD BETWEEN ANTONITO, COLORADO, AND SANTA FE, NEW MEXICO APRIL 1, 2, 3, AND 5, 1941

STATEMENT OF S. T. PARSONS, PRESIDENT OF THE CONEJOS COUNTY SHEEP AND WOOL GROWERS ASSOCIATION, OF LA JARA, COLO.

Mr. CHIPMAN. You mentioned something about snowstorms and the need of rail facilities to save the sheep. Is that an annual occurrence?
Mr. PARSONS. No; it is not annual, but it has not been the first time it has happened. Those men would have lost their entire capital investment right there if it had not been for the cooperation of the Rio Grande which was mighty fine in helping these boys out of there because they were snowed in.
Mr. CHIPMAN. And at that time the Rio Grande gave prompt and efficient service?
Mr. PARSONS. They did.
Mr. CHIPMAN. Did that indicate to you they were in a position to do it when they want to?
Mr. PARSONS. Absolutely
Mr. CHIPMAN. If that transportation had not been furnished, the loss would have been heavy?
Mr. PARSONS. It would have been 100 percent in the sheep they moved out of that locality.

STATEMENT OF ADOLPH GALLEGOS, COUNTY ASSESSOR OF CONEJOS COUNTY, COLO

Mr. GALLEGOS. Just last winter during a heavy snow storm in this district about 10,000 head of sheep were saved by the railroad which otherwise wou1d not have happened. They were sheep at Servilleta, N. Mex., and were taken to where they could be fed in the San Luis Valley. Just figure the great loss the sheepmen would have suffered had it not been for the D. & R. G. Therefore, the people of Conejos County oppose the abandonment; it would create a condition which would be very hard to overcome.

STATEMENT OF W. I. MARSH, EMPLOYEE OF DENVER & RIO GRANDE RAILROAD, ALAMOSA, COLO.-Continued

Mr. Marsh. I talked with Mr. Parsons and questioned him very closely and the figure he gave me was 235,000 and the point was brought out by Mr. Parsons of 9,000 sheep that was rescued down there- make clear the fact what would have happened if they had all perished, which would have been the case if the railroad had not been there, and I want to state these were all foundation herds for the growers here in the valley and if they had perished they would not have had then· foundation herbs and the sheep industry would have suffered and there would have been a loss not only to the owners of the herds but others in the valley who were going to get them for breeding purposes and they would also have had a loss. It would be one of the best markets for alfalfa hay.

STATEMENT OF EUGENE D. FAUS, ASSISTANT MANAGER FOR THE FAUS TRANSPORTATION CO., MONTE VISTA, COLO.

Mr. CHIPMAN. Mr. Faus, did you hear the testimony yesterday of one of the witnesses or were you present yesterday afternoon?
Mr. FAUS. Part of the afternoon.
Mr. CHIPMAN. Were you present when one of the stockmen testified about having to rescue a lot of sheep along the Santa Fe branch because of a heavy snowstorm?
Mr. FAUS. Yes; I heard that testimony. ·
Mr. CHIPMAN. Would your trucks be adequate to make a similar rescue if necessary?
Mr. FAUS. No; I don't think we could do it.
Mr. CHIPMAN. What do you think would happen in a case of that kind?
Mr. FAUS. I am sure I don't know. I am afraid the stockmen would have to drive their stock in a case of that kind to the nearest railroad if possible.
Mr. CHIPMAN. If you couldn't drive them through the snow what would happen to the stock?
Mr. FAUS. I suppose they would perish. We just couldn't take care of them. We can handle 200 head of sheep or Iambs on one semitrailer. At the present we have two such trailers in use which would save only a small part of them. We could make arrangements, however, for some additional movement with other livestock carriers in the valley which would handle considerable.
Mr. CHIPMAN. Your trucks would operate in the snow success: fully?
Mr. FAUS. Yes; we have operated over La Veta Pass for 20 years now, during the past few years the State highway department has done very well keeping the roads open, however a number of years ago, I recall particularly the winter of 1932 and 1933 when the snow was unusually heavy there were a good many nights during that winter when the road was reported closed and traffic was stopped on the other side, however, our trucks came through almost invariably, sometimes they were a little late but not more than an hour or two.
Mr. CHIPMAN. That was on a hard-surfaced highway?
Mr. FAUS. Not at that time; no.
Mr. CHIPMAN. How long ago has that been?
Mr. FAUS. In 1932 and 1933, a part of it was gravel surfaced and part of it was under construction and torn up at that time, it wasn't hard surfaced.
Mr. CHIPMAN. It was somewhat different than it would be going out here trying to pick up sheep out in the valley where they were grazing?
Mr. FAUS. We have operated in just such storms as that here locally in the valley ever since we have been operating for the past 20 years and, of course, we have had some difficulty during that time but we have never failed to get through.
MR. CHIPMAN. You didn't have to pick up the number of sheep testified to yesterday, you don't operate under those emergencies continually?
Mr. FAUS. No; we have never had an emergency like that. We have had every severe roads and weather conditions to contend with and have met them successfully.
Mr. CHIPMAN. Is there an understanding between yourselves arid the railroad you will relinquish some of the service between here and Pueblo if the branch is abandoned and you get a permit into Santa Fe?
Mr. FAUS. No; there isn't.
Mr. CHIPMAN. You intend to buy the equipment necessary to handle traffic?
Mr. FAUS. Yes.
Mr. CHIPMAN. There is no understanding between yourself and the railroad company they may lease you some of their equipment to augment your equipment? ·
Mr. FAUS. None whatever.

After posting, Ernie Barney asked about November 22, that the report for 426 shows only 35 minutes to load 11 cars of sheep and arrive at Antonito at 5:25pm, didn’t seem right. I guess at the answer below.

The pick up on November 22, 1940 was first, between the two storms. The first only did 3 to 6 inches and all roads were still open. My guess is that since this was an unusual snow storm (the first storm was one of the heaviest November snow falls on record, of course this was before the second storm hits) so, some of the ranchers felt that this may be a good time to start moving stock out of the area, again this is a guess. Second, on the amount of time, look at Train No. 425 for November 22nd. It was carrying 11 empty single deck stock cars (and one chute). It left Antonito at 8:40am and most likely got to No Agua at around 9:30 (if they made up the time) or 9:40am, where they did 10 minutes of switching. Since I don’t see any other stock cars come to No Agua before November 22 and I don’t see them drop off anywhere else (the only other switching was Espanola and the stock cars were drop off somewhere since they didn’t get to Santa Fe), I’m assuming that the switching was dropping off the 11 stock cars. Let’s say they left on time + 10 min that would be around 9:40am or about 10:00am. This would give the stock men from then to 3:54pm (if Train No. 426 was on time) to load the stock. Remember, these were single deck cars which means they would only hold half the number of sheep. Now, Train No. 426 shows up and wait for the stock men to finish loading the sheep. I don’t show that No Agua had a stock yard (this was one of the reasons they needed a chute). If that was the case, the stock men would have been using the time rounding up the sheep and keeping them together until they could get them into the stock cars, also they were working in only 3 to 6 inches of snow. Train No. 426 departed Santa Fe at 10:00am and got into Antonito at 5:25pm which is 5 minutes before the schedule arrival of 5:30pm. If you look at Jimmy’s dispatcher sheets that I compiled for the Santa Fe Branch that you posted for the group, for 1940, Train No. 426 was getting into Antonito around 5:00pm and before 6:00pm on a regular bases. I’m pretty sure that 5:25pm is correct otherwise a delay report would have had to be done and it would not have been recorded at the station as arriving at 5:25pm. If it actually got in at 8:25pm but was record as 5:25pm, some people would have lost their jobs, most likely.

On the time of arrivals times, I got from the 1937 Time-Table No. 120, which is at:
[www.drgw.net]

Actual times were from Jimmy’s dispatcher sheets.

Now we come to November 23 and the second storm hits, instead of inches, it was in feet. So much for the first storm’s record setting.
Hope this was helpful,

Then I added the following the next day.

I should have known that I should have waited until the morning to answer. I was bound to forget something and what I forgot about was the San Juan or Train No. 116. Of course the San Juan was a scheduled First Class passenger train going east, which gave it rights (or made it superior if you like) over everything. Train No. 426 was also a First Class but a mixed and it was also going east (north is east for the Time-Table and rights). However No. 426 ended in Antonito and so would its rights. The San Juan was schedule to arrive in Antonito at 7:54pm (again Time-Table 120). Here is what Jimmy’s dispatcher sheet shows for November 22, 1940:
No. 116 with engine 477
Conductor E J Hurley
Engineer House (to Chama)

Depart Durango 11:15 AM with 4 cars
Arrive Chama 4:05 PM
Depart Chama 4:15 PM (engineer Boyd)
Arrive Cumbres 5:12 PM
Depart Cumbres 5:15 PM
Arrive Antonito 7:28 PM, pick up 2 cars from No. 426
Depart Antonito 7:35 PM with 6 cars
Arrive Alamosa 8:30 Pm with 6 cars

As can be seen, the San Juan arrived early and picked up the RPO #63 and coach #320 from Train No. 426. Train No. 426 could have a little late but instead it was also early from the schedule arrival time (as recorded). It could have been an hour late and not affect the San Juan, but I believe the delay would have been recorded at Antonito. You know this would be a good question to ask Jimmy. What would happen if someone recorded an incorrect time at a station for a train that could have delayed the San Juan?

Then James McKee posted the following.

James McKee
Apr 29 #339

Alamosa Timetable 121, Supplement "C", effective June 16, 1940, set the final schedules for the "San Juan" and Santa Fe Branch trains 425-426. This supplement also reduced trains 425 & 426 from first class to second class trains. The schedules in this supplement remained unchanged until these trains were discontinued. Per these schedules, train 426 departed Santa Fe at 10 AM and arrived at Antonito at 5:15 PM. Train 425 departed Antonito at 8:15 AM and arrived at Santa Fe at 4:00 PM. The trains were scheduled to meet at Embudo.

End of post

Going over the old newspapers, records and Jimmy Blouch dispatcher sheets has been a great deal of fun for me. Again, I hope you enjoy it and if you have anything to add or correct, please post.

I would like to thank the following for their input and encouragement: Ernie Barney, Dieter Chidel, Dave Jamriska, Tony Kassin, Michael Lomert, James McKee, Dan Pyzel, and Ernie Robart. I would especially like to thank Jimmy Blouch for publishing his dispatcher sheets. They have been a gold mine of information.
Subject Author Posted

The Chili Line 1940 Sheep Rescue

Coyote November 24, 2018 04:51PM

Re: The Chili Line 1940 Sheep Rescue

TonyK375 November 25, 2018 12:06AM

John K November 25, 2018 04:55PM

Jimmy Blouch November 26, 2018 05:06PM

superfleet November 25, 2020 01:35PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login