Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Narrow Gauge: Across The Runway, Not Around It.

April 03, 2017 04:02AM avatar
Kevin,

Gisborne Runway IS protected by Signals, the CTC panel controlling those Signals is in the Control Tower, the rest of the Napier-Gisborne line was equipped with Single-line Automatic 3-position Colour-light signals (non CTC) until those were superseded by the Track Warrant system about 1991. (The piece of paper, check the box, American way of running trains without any lineside Signal protection other than points indicators)

The Airport would have been regulated under the The New Zealand National Airways Act 1945 in the past.

All trains both Passenger and Freight were scheduled and knowing those schedules would have been part and parcel of the Airport Controllers work, to be done in conjunction with Train Control in Napier. I would say that there were written Special Instructions regarding these Signals that would have been required Local Knowledge for Locomotive running staff working out of Gisborne and would have been a part of the Annual Rules & Reg's oral examination.

Signal Protecting The Runway At Gisborne Airport
[flic.kr]

Since that Line was outside of my area, I wasn't issued with such Working Timetable inserts nor asked questions relating to them either. I did once occupy the Endevour passenger service loco's cab as a rider up and back on a personal trip to Gisborne in the late 80's but other than the novelty of such a crossing I don't remember anything about it.

All in all, nothing left to chance!

Also at Gisborne there are other runways there, only one sealed, the rest grass, the Airport isn't operated at night after 8-30pm from what I've read.

The line south to Napier is now mothballed since the rains washed out the line in several places however there is a preservation group operating steam WA165(one of the original locos in Gisborne) that still runs the line on occasion. [www.gcvr.org.nz]

The Napier-Gisborne line was one of the last segments of NZR to be built the line was originally started towards the northeast to connect with the Bay of Plenty lines but it wasn't until 1942 the line was completed up from the South. [en.wikipedia.org]

The only aviation incident involving Gis airport that I could find [aviation-safety.net]
Subject Author Posted

Narrow Gauge: Across The Runway, Not Around It. Attachments

Chris Walker April 01, 2017 07:07PM

bcp April 01, 2017 07:27PM

dougvv April 01, 2017 08:27PM

Chris Walker April 01, 2017 09:58PM

bcp April 02, 2017 12:03AM

dave2-8-0 April 01, 2017 11:32PM

trainrider47 April 02, 2017 10:05AM

KevinM April 02, 2017 07:27AM

Charlie Mutschler April 02, 2017 09:06AM

Dave Peterson April 02, 2017 11:20AM

Chris Walker April 03, 2017 04:02AM

jim pallow April 02, 2017 02:48PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login