Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any photos of C&S 9 en route to 1939 New York World's Fair?

May 24, 2015 01:01AM avatar
There was a recent discussion over on RYPN about the experimental PRR S1 6-4-4-6 (!) number 6100 that was displayed (and operated on rollers) at the 1939 World's Fair in New York City, and this has made me curious about how the various pieces of equipment at the railroad exhibit were moved to New York. This included C&S 9 and I believe also D&RGW 169 before it was placed in Alamosa in 1941:

C&S_9_NYWorldsFair1939.jpg

So how did they get there? The SG equipment was apparently moved on its own wheels (usually dead in tow), and the NG equipment (plus certain historic SG engines like the NP's 'Minnetonka') by flatcar, arriving in New York by two likely routes:

1) PRR to Greenville Yard in New Jersey, then by car float across New York Harbor and up the East River to Long Island City, staging in either PRR Sunnyside Yard or LIRR Yard A, and then out through Harold interlocking on the LIRR to the fairgrounds at Flushing Meadows;

or

2) Erie or Lehigh & New England to Maybrook, New York and interchange with the New Haven, then over the Poughkeepsie Bridge (Hudson River), looping into western Connecticut and then back into New York, then over the Hell Gate Bridge (East River) to either PRR Sunnyside Yard or LIRR Yard A, then out on the LIRR to Flushing Meadows.

These moves would have been amazing photo opportunities, but I have never seen a single image of any piece of equipment en route to the 1939 World's Fair -- not the PRR S1, not the N&W 1206, and not even the LMS 'Duchess of Hamilton' which was shipped across the Atlantic to Baltimore and then taken north to New York under her own power with a UK crew on the footplate! It makes me wonder if it was all done in secret at night, under cover of darkness. How else could there be no photos?

So, focusing on the NG displays, does anyone know of a photo of C&S 9 or D&RGW 169 en route to New York in 1939, perhaps even one of them arriving in New York or being unloaded?

-Philip Marshall

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 01:15AM by philip.marshall.
Subject Author Posted

Any photos of C&S 9 en route to 1939 New York World's Fair? Attachments

philip.marshall May 24, 2015 01:01AM

Re: Any photos of C&S 9 en route to 1939 New York World's Fair? Attachments

Ken Martin May 24, 2015 09:13AM

Re: Any photos of C&S 9 en route to 1939 New York World's Fair?

philip.marshall May 24, 2015 11:48AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login