Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Resurrecting the RGS

January 18, 2012 07:42PM avatar
Yes The trestle at Trout Lake is still standing. Its a small trestle by some standards. The Forestry service stabilized it several years ago, and replaced some of the timber. It has all aged very well, you can't tell the new wood from the old. They also did the same to the coaling pocket at Vance Junction. My laptop is down so I can't post any of my pics.

Here is a link to a site with several pics of the trestle while being worked on. Trout Lake Trestle

Yes we have been down this road before, but please lets not turn remembering the RGS and wishing it was still around into a boring subject.
It doesn't hurt to dream.

The GGHS re-laying track into Lost canon is/was/would probably the best chance. Right now its not feasible, but maybe some time in the future it will be. If it does happen Ill be there with my D&RGW spike maul, and shovel to help out.

Now for a light look at this.
The RGS didn't die in 1952 it just moved west.grinning smiley Knott's has been considered by some as the third district or RGS west. (And im not just talking about Knott's employees.)

Think about it. Knotts had the only operating RGS steam loco, still does.( Yeah I know 42 ran too, but that was after she went to the NG motel.) The longest operating Goose. #3 was running while all the others were still nesting. A caboose and of course there is the EDNA. The equipment even ran on RGS rails. Remember the 30lb rail was pulled up from Pandora.(and hauled down by Goose #3 ironically.)

And last the first two employees were from the RGS. E.D. Randow the Master mechanic and Roy Boucher the superintendent. Randow helped Knott choose the equipment, and became the first engineer, and Boucher became the first conductor. Evan the operating procedures, and mechanical guide lines are based on the RGS's.

Besides the CRRM, Knott's is the best place to see and ride RGS equipment.
Subject Author Posted

Resurrecting the RGS

superfleet January 04, 2012 08:50AM

jalbers January 04, 2012 09:04AM

Re: Resurrecting the RGS - Not! ... sad smiley

Russo Loco January 16, 2012 09:09PM

GeorgeGaskill January 16, 2012 10:45PM

Russo Loco January 16, 2012 10:48PM

superfleet January 17, 2012 11:54AM

NormAcker January 17, 2012 01:29PM

Jeff Taylor January 18, 2012 07:42PM

Larry Spencer January 17, 2012 12:03PM

Re: Eminent Domain - Not! ... sad smiley

Jim Grigsby January 18, 2012 11:10AM

Re: Eminent Domain - Not! ... sad smiley

GeorgeGaskill January 20, 2012 12:45AM

olarmy January 17, 2012 07:06PM

Re: Resurrecting the RGS, again?

hank January 18, 2012 10:37AM

Re: Resurrecting the RGS, again?

South Park January 19, 2012 02:37AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login