Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Silverton Northern Coach No. 4

August 15, 2009 08:52PM
The following may suffer for offering too much information, but read on if the topic interests you.

I work for the D&SNGRR, in the museum.

No. 4 became the "Chief Diner". In front was a 15 foot high Indian Chief made of sheet metal and with an arm that moved. When the diner closed, the Chief itself was bought by Jackson Clark, for his TohAtin Gallery in Durango. Today it is across 9th St. from the store. Its arm no longer moves. To see a picture of the Chief Diner, go to E-bay and search for "Chief Diner". There are always postcards of the diner offered for sale. There currently (Aug 15) are a half-dozen or so, at least one showing the inside. That photo looks just as I remember the place. It truly was a diner. Thousands of these cards were printed.
The diner was garishly painted in amazing colors and was truly a sight to see. It was located on North Main where the Hidden Valley Motel is now. With the closing of the diner, a crane lifted the car high into the air and it was moved up Junction Street several miles. Next it (probably) went to a riding stable where Purgatory ski area is located 20 miles north of town. I never saw it there, but I have heard it was so moved. Next it went to a ranch southwest of Durango, to be used to store hay. A wooden roof was placed over the diner, because the original roof was leaking.
Slightly over a year ago, I got a phone call from a Realtor in Durango. He told me that the ranch had been bought by an elderly couple (relatives of his) from southern California. They wanted the car off the property, so it was offered to me for free. I first saw photos of it, then went to inspect the car. It was in bad shape. The D&SNGRR did not want it, because there is already enough stuff we need to restore. I tried the Animas Museum here in town. They did not have the money or space. I tried the Colorado Railroad Museum. They also did not want it.
News that this car was available, for free, spread around town. I got a call from Sy Scarborough, of the Bar-D Chuckwagon. He said he might be interested. I took some photos it to his place and he discussed the acquisition with his "partners?" Finally, they also declined.
Regretfully, I finallly told the man who had offered it to me that he should just go ahead and scrap it. I have not talked to him, but probably that was done.
It was in terrible shape and would have taken many, many dollars to restore. It is sad, but true, there are many of similar restoration possibilities out there.
Subject Author Posted

Silverton Northern Coach No. 4

John McGlothlen August 15, 2009 04:31PM

EBTfan15 August 15, 2009 08:25PM

bill ramaley August 15, 2009 08:52PM

Jeff Taylor August 15, 2009 09:14PM

chris king August 16, 2009 03:58PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login