Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: NNG - Best Pizza near the Fillmore & Western

August 03, 2009 02:19AM avatar
Jeff Taylor, John Cole et al -

If youse guys ever make it up to Fillmore to check out ex- Rogue River Valley #1 (The Sespe - a ten-ton wood-burning 0-4-0T), Dave Wilkinson's ex-ATSF 60' business car #409, our ex-Canadian National 90' turntable or the classic F-7 diseasels, give me a holler! When we're done railroadin', we'll head over to scenic Ojai, California - the Ground-Squirrel Capital of the World* - to Dave's neighbor DeWayne Bocalli's pizza place at the foot of Dennison Grade. It's not a brew-pub, but DeWayne does make some purty good wine, and the pizza is sooo-perb!! This time of year there's also a tomato salad (with lots of sweet purple onions) - fresh from DeWayne's own farm in the Uppah Ojai Valley - that is to die for!

But don't sing any RR songs at him, or anything else for that matter. A few years ago DeWayne was working in the kitchen when I took my friend Lauren Ellis up there to audition for a gig on his outdoor stage. To get his attention, I sang the Aria 'O Cuspidora' from the Italian Opera 'I GandyDancerias' at him. He picked up a BIG handful of flour and threw it back at me through the window, and when it hit the screen it scattered and turned 90% of me, my daughter Cindy, and Lauren snow white!

Believe me - Fore-warned is Fore-Armed ... **

- Russo

* There was some contention between Ojai and Valley Springs, Ca, not too far from the Sierra Railway in the foothills east of Stockton, for this esteemed title, 'Ground Squirrel Capital of the World'. The Ojai contingent convinced them Irish dudes that the Uppah Ojai should be included in the comparison, but valley Springs was still just a bit ahead. Then the Ojai folks obtained a judgment from the CA Supreme Court acknowledging that Ojai's large population of two-legged ground squirrels*** should be also be counted. After that, it was no contest ... eye rolling smiley

** ... and Four-Armed is Half an Octopus ;;o

*** The Hari-Krishnamurti (MistiMurki) Foundation, The World (Whirled) Institute of Avasthology (Half-Assed-Ology), The Foundation for Unilateral Christian Kinship / Youth-Order-Unity, and the TheoGospillogical Society - founded by Madam Bloviatski, Fannie Pissant and AllJuiced Huxter - all have their headquarters in scenic Ojai. Approximately twenty percent of the jaywalkers on main street at any given moment can unquestionably be identified as two-legged ground squirrels; during the late fall, winter, and early spring - when the Topa Topa bluffs frequently reflect the "pink moment" of sunset, this number often exceeds thirty percent.
Subject Author Posted

Best Pizza near the D&SNG?

Chris Webster August 02, 2009 02:58PM

Re: Best Pizza near the D&SNG?

John C August 02, 2009 03:20PM

Re: Best Pizza near the D&SNG?

Earl August 02, 2009 09:46PM

Re: NNG - Best Pizza near the Fillmore & Western

Russo Loco August 03, 2009 02:19AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login