Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SV coach identity

June 06, 2001 10:21PM
There was a recent discussion thread on our coach 20 and I mentioned that I thought I had seen a picture of 2 similar coaches on the SVRy prior to 1903, speculating that they were 20 and 21. I finally got around to looking up the photo, which seemingly adds confusion to the fine research that G.E.Pitchard provided, rather than clarification. The photo is on pg. 21 of "Rails, Sagebrush and Pine". It is captioned as being 1896 at Sumpter. The 2 coaches appear similar, their #'s not being visible. Notice that the front coach appears to have lower step, but this may be simply because the coach is tipped slightly due to uneven track. Both coaches appear to have curved tops on the side windows like #20. It could be that the date is in error, but as the SVRy reached Sumpter in 1896 and the track in the photo is unballasted, making it prsumably an early photo. I beleive that the photo was taken with the camera set up a little SW of the depot. The train would be comming up the S. leg of the wye at Sumpter (not S wye) comming towards the depot which would be off the camera mans left elbow. In the post by Brian Norden, he lists the specs from early car account info. for the 20 coach. It would be interesting to see if the specs for any other coaches match with the 20 such as perhaps 21. Also note the 2 matching coaches on page 23 of "Rails, Sagebrush and Pine", taken at Boulder Gorge. Take a look at the picture on pg. 30 and you'll see what appears to be an identical coach 23. Did they all come from the same source? Your comments gentlemen? Thanks!
Subject Author Posted

SV coach identity

J.B. Bane(SVRy) June 06, 2001 10:21PM

Re: SV coach identity

Taylor Rush June 07, 2001 07:46AM

J.B.Bane June 07, 2001 10:15AM

Brian Norden June 07, 2001 07:27PM

J.B.Bane June 07, 2001 07:47PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.