Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alamosa River passenger cars part 1 *PIC*

June 02, 2001 05:33PM
Last weekend I packed the family up and headed up to Chama and we had a great time riding, chasing and exploring. One of our side trips was to try and find the passenger cars located along the Alamosa River that had been mentioned in posts quite a while back. I thought that I would share the photos with you and hope that you enjoy them as it was quite an experience getting them.
The first attempt was made from the south traveling from the foot of La Manga pass up forest road 250. The drive was easy all the way passed Platoro but on the way down from the pass we encountered a fairly long patch of snow. It was the only snow on the entire road I learned later. I shifted into 4 wheel and made an attempt but only got about half way before getting stuck. Tried to back out but we were high centered on the snow. After about an hour of shoveling and jacking I had enough flat rocks under a front tire to get free. Luckily a group of guys on ATV's helped shovel and provided some much needed weight in the back of the pickup. That ended the first attempt at finding the passenger cars.
The next day we rode the train but first I had to change a tire on the pickup as it had gone flat overnite. Turns out we picked up a staple in the tire somewhere along the way the previous day.
On Monday we decided to make another attempt at locating the cars. I had the GPS location plugged in from the aerial photos and we used this to help find the appropriate road to turn down. I had keyed one of the numbers in wrong so we ended up on the wrong rode for awhile. This turned out to be a good thing as we located a couple of boxcars and a reefer. I double checked the coordinates and found the problem. From here on out it was smooth sailing and I was able to find the cars and take a few photos.
This first photo I believe is kitchen car #0274. The configuration of windows and number match the photos in the pictorial. The pipes and vents on the roof all seem to line up as well.
Stay tuned for part 2 that will contain a photo of the second car.
Dave
Subject Author Posted

Alamosa River passenger cars part 1 *PIC*

Dave Dye June 02, 2001 05:33PM

Re: Alamosa River passenger cars part 1

Todd Hackett June 02, 2001 08:03PM

Re: Alamosa River passenger cars part 1

Dave Dye June 02, 2001 08:41PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.