Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

replication

March 31, 2001 07:47AM
We in the video business see some of the same problems as the artists. Unfortunately there are times we travel thousands of miles at our own expense only to be hassled by someone from a group or museum, for some reason or another. My feeling is that the historic railroad industry is so small in scope that it needs all the good publicity it can get, and if some of these folks don't get their act together and be more positive then nobody will care to help them!
A few years ago I sold some footage of a major mainline steam locomotive to a major Network for a daytime soap opera. When the shots aired over the course of a week or so, the group who had restored the engine cried FOUL to the network, demanding they be paid for this use. Well of course the network came back to me, since I had stated I was the sole owner of the footage. I contacted the group, and they backed off since they knew me.
This got me to questioning the situation, and I contacted a lawyer, who advised me that I was doing nothing illegal since I was selling my artistry, or my depiction of a particulary subject. If one DUPLICATES an object that is a copyright violation. Thus had I built an identical locomotive to the one I videotaped then I would be in possible legal hotwater.
A good example would be if someone decided to build an identical 4-4-0 to Mr. Markoff's and portray it as THE EUREKA. This would be copying.
As Coker said, this is a small market for railroad items, and nobody is rolling in dough from what little photo or video may be out there.
The problem is sometimes there is a fine line between someone getting free publicity, and that someone having their hand out demanding funds when there is no budget for same! Generally the ones who are nice about it are the ones we tend to steer towards, while forgetting the hard-nose types.
I know one videographer who told me how he shot a steam train at a tourist railroad, and was approached by the engines owner, who told him he could not sell this video since it had his copyrighted name on the tender. Rather than fight the guy, the videographer simply did nothing with the footage, and therefore it never got much publicity. While this engine no longer runs at that location it and the owner are still out there. I doubt seriously if the owner would have challenged the videographer, and I feel the owner was missing a chance for some free publicity, that would cost quite a bit had they hired a production company for a day or two from the REAL WORLD! Again some museum and historical types have backward thinking like the technology they are trying to preserve! It does make one appreciate the good folks though!
Steamingly,
Greg Scholl
Subject Author Posted

Art & Ownership

John McCutcheon March 28, 2001 06:18PM

Re: Art & Ownership

jay March 28, 2001 07:03PM

Slim March 28, 2001 07:43PM

Allen Tacy March 28, 2001 08:28PM

Re: Art & Ownership *PIC*

Greg Scholl March 29, 2001 05:47AM

How I do it

El Coke March 29, 2001 08:12AM

Re: How I do it

Art March 29, 2001 04:56PM

Not exactly...

El Coke March 29, 2001 08:55PM

An area to tread carefully

Eugene March 30, 2001 12:12PM

Locomotive X

El Coke March 30, 2001 01:05PM

Re: Locomotive X

RBrinton March 30, 2001 01:47PM

Re: Locomotive X

Eugene March 30, 2001 03:43PM

Psych 101

El Coke March 30, 2001 03:49PM

replication

Greg Scholl March 31, 2001 07:47AM

Amen,Greg.

El Coke March 31, 2001 08:21AM

Re: replication

Michael Allen March 31, 2001 08:27AM

Greg Scholl March 31, 2001 10:48AM

Michael Allen March 31, 2001 01:47PM

Greg Scholl March 31, 2001 03:49PM

Michael Allen March 31, 2001 06:11PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.