Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Time for Mediation in Creede.

August 23, 2000 08:54AM
After all this news of the land dispute in Creede, I think that it might be wise to recognize when there is a need to hire a professional mediator. This situation is very much the same as to when a public utility wants to make a major change to the landscape, but wants to do it in a way that at least moderates any perceived or actual negative impacts. And it is important to recognize a minority group's opinions, even if the overall public will benefit.
I can see that both sides have legitimate claims here. Mr. Shank's foundation owns title to the land in the town. The Creede minority against the railroad have grown to appreciate certain advantages found when the line was dormant, and have fears of losing a way of life to become like other generic tourist mountain towns (if I read the situation correctly).
I personally think it was wise for Shank to post his boundaries, as well as make offers at the table. Perhaps it is time for a situation where the voices of the vocal, negative minority could be heard and understood, and be allowed to defuse so that the real problems can be resolved. Perhaps Shank can offer an olive branch that makes his entrance to town seem something other than swallowing a poison pill. This is the job of a mediator.
One way or the other, I hope both sides lay down the arms, because the current gains may all be lost if the line is under constant vocal, physical and legal attacks.
Olin.
Subject Author Posted

Time for Mediation in Creede.

O. Anderson August 23, 2000 08:54AM

Re: Time for Mediation in Creede.

Ken Middlebrook August 23, 2000 12:42PM

O. Anderson August 23, 2000 02:41PM

Roger Hogan August 23, 2000 12:48PM

O. Anderson August 23, 2000 02:50PM

Bill Kepner August 24, 2000 12:36PM

rdmstr August 24, 2000 02:25PM

Rudnick August 25, 2000 12:33AM

Scott Green August 25, 2000 08:21AM

Fred August 25, 2000 02:47PM

Mikky August 27, 2000 11:36AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.