Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

493 steaming up the Animas River canyon

May 08, 2023 10:56PM
Today I decided to try out my wife's new Nikon camera with some panoramic narrow gauge views. Jack and I hiked (and postholed at times) thru deep snow to the canyon rim and waited for 493 to come up the Animas canyon with the Silverton train. In this setting the mountains are majestic, and the trains are tiny.

In this scene the train is steaming along the edge of the river.

493animasmay23-5 (2).jpg

493animasmay23-2 (3).jpg

I wish 493 still had her silver smokebox like in Rio Grande days, which would make the engine much more distinctive in photos, but I am afraid that black smokeboxes are the new trend on D&S and CTS. Even 315 has lost her silver smoke box.

493animasmay23-6 (3).jpg

Zooming back, the train is almost lost in the vastness again, and the white roofs of the passenger cars tend to match the snowy condition of the canyon. Time to hike to some lower elevation view points if the snow conditions allow.

493animasmay23-3.jpg

It seems to me that this year's snow pack, although heavy, does not quite match the snow pack from 3 years ago. Plan B for this day was to hike to the waterfall just below the narrows, but the stream feeding the waterfall is still very low, the high elevation snowmelt haviing not really gotten underway yet, while the Animas is running high from the lower elevation and south facing snow.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2023 11:07PM by Olaf Rasmussen.
Subject Author Posted

493 steaming up the Animas River canyon Attachments

Olaf Rasmussen May 08, 2023 10:56PM

Re: 493 steaming up the Animas River canyon

John Meixel May 11, 2023 04:27PM

Re: 493 steaming up the Animas River canyon thumbs up

Stewart Rhine May 12, 2023 08:15AM

Re: 493 steaming up the Animas River canyon

Kelly Anderson May 12, 2023 08:31AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login