Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

progress on WSL 9 *PIC*

August 09, 2000 04:49PM
I thought I would give an update on the continuing work on Midwest Central RR’s ex-West Side Lumber Co. #9. The locomotive was taken out of service nearly two years ago, and like most projects snowballed into more work than was planned on. The work is now coming to a close. We are optimistic that the locomotive will operate for this year's Old Threshers Reunion, starting August 30th. It was torn down for it’s external boiler inspection and some boiler work. Much work was done in the cab, including new wood, renewing valves, and the electrical system. Many small things were taken care of also. All boiler work was finished this spring. It was decided to build a new boiler jacket for it, as the original was disintegrating and in very rough shape. As soon as all the lagging was laid a new jacket was started on and this was pretty much completed last week. It is a close copy of the original, all riveted. There is still some band work to do, hopefully this will be done this week. The firebrick is being laid in the firebox now. The jacket and cab were painted last weekend. By the end of next week the appliances and piping should be on the locomotive, and if all goes well the tender will be connected and final preparations for fireup will follow the week after. This is about the most extensive work that has been done on this locomotive in a long time. It has basically been running on the last rebuild Ed Sullivan and the boys in Tuolumne did on it in the mid 50’s. It came to Mt. Pleasant operational and only operates a limited number of days each year. This has kept it in fairly good condition. This work will return it to its appearance in the 40’s.
I am attempting to include a picture that was taken a couple of weeks ago when the jacket was nearly complete.
I will invite you all to this years 50th annual Old Threshers Reunion. This is the MCRR’s 40th year of operation. The Reunion is well worth a visit if you are into old machinery. There are over 100 steam traction engines, 3 times as many gas tractors. Antique cars and trucks, gas engines, large stationary steam, swap tents, electric trolleys, crafts, two old time villages, food, big name country music, and lots more. Around 100,000 people visit over the five days. We run two trains to transport people around our mile loop. Come join in the fun.
Subject Author Posted

progress on WSL 9 *PIC*

Jess VanWinkle August 09, 2000 04:49PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.