Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

National Park Service Report on the Narrow Gauge

December 07, 2022 12:34PM
I'm not a regular poster here but I do read the board regularly and love the mix of historic photos, stories and modern news.
Recently the 1968 National Park Service Special between Durango and Alamosa was mentioned - I can't find the actual thread now I'm sorry - and it was said that 2 reports were produced by the NPS on the future of the DRGW narrow gauge. No one seems to have seen them so I e-mailed the archivist at the National Park Service yesterday and by return came a response with 3 documents attached - two reports and a press release from 1970 by the NPS. A very efficient service and shows the incredible importance of having archivists (I'm an archivist)..
I've only had a quick look but one of the reports comes with a covering letter from the Regional Director of the Southwest Region of the NPS (January 1970) where he strongly recommends that the NPS acquire the Alamosa-Durango-Silverton line.
The second report is more detailed, listing various options but being noncommittal; noting that the Silverton line is being preserved and that the Chama - Antonito segment is being purchased by Colorado and New Mexico.
I'm not sure about posting complete documents without permission but if anyone would like a copy I'd be happy to share them by e-mail. If anyone is interested I'll post some of the point made about the various options.

Rob in Wales
Subject Author Posted

National Park Service Report on the Narrow Gauge

Rob P December 07, 2022 12:34PM

Re: National Park Service Report on the Narrow Gauge

Rader Sidetrack December 07, 2022 01:23PM

Rob P December 07, 2022 04:14PM

Re: Photos of the Natl. Park Svc. Special on the Narrow Gauge

Russo Loco December 07, 2022 02:17PM

Dorman Collection October 21, 2023 01:21PM

Sharrod October 22, 2023 02:46PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login