Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A visit to the East Broad Top, 07/14

August 11, 2022 11:56PM avatar
As part of our Strasburg-EBT-Western Maryland Scenic tour in mid-July, my oldest grandson, who lives in the EDT Zone, and I spent a day at the EBT on 07/14, We rode the 11 am train in the Caboose, hoped off at the stop in the Rockhill Trolley Museum and rode a trolley at noon. Took the 1 pm shop tour and finished up with another ride on the EBT at 3 pm. It was a great day, thanks to the folks at both the EBT and the Rockhill Trolley Museum. The shop tour was excellent, finally got to see inside the Machine Shop with all the belts and machinery. Of their six steam locomotives, we were able to see #14 in the Machine Shop. It appears they started to check out for issues before the new group came on board. The Docent on the tour stated she may have boiler problems. We saw #12, #18 and #15 in the Roundhouse. We could hear work being done at the other end of the Roundhouse, I assume on #16. If I had been more on the ball we probably could have sneaked a look from the outside as the stall door was open. I had visited once before with my oldest so in 2008. It was very good to see the progress they have made and what else they have planned. Thanks to my FEBT Newsletter I was aware the line was renovated and reopened to what it was in 2008. Lastly as were driving from the EBT to the WMSR, my grandson kept chirping how we have to go back next summer and see the steam engines. He also said he missed the Durango and Silverton and the C&TS, as we couldn't work in a trip to Durango/Chama when they came out in early June to AZ.

1) Our 11 am train ready for departure at Orbisonia/Rockhill Station

2) Looking out the backdoor of the Caboose, note the renovated track. The ride was very smooth the whole trip

3) View from the Caboose coming into the Station, before running the train through the wye in the Trolley Museum. Note hoppers on display, several appear to be freshly painted and at least cleaned up

4) Boxcar,/Reefer? on display be the parking lot, along with the hoppers

5) Walking to the Roundhouse after the Machine Shop tour, the Docent said these were repainted domes from the #16, also note the shiny repainted tender for #16.

To be continued....
DSC_0001 re.JPG
DSC_0002 Re.jpg
DSC_0003 Re.JPG
DSC_0004 Re.JPG
DSC_0099 re.JPG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2022 12:10AM by laxriter.
Subject Author Posted

A visit to the East Broad Top, 07/14 Attachments

laxriter August 11, 2022 11:56PM

Re: A visit to the East Broad Top, 07/14 Attachments

laxriter August 12, 2022 12:05AM

Re: A visit to the East Broad Top, 07/14

Steve Forney August 16, 2022 01:59PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login