Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What if the D&RGW had joined Amtrak?

June 29, 2022 10:59AM
When Amtrak was formed in 1971, railroads with passenger service had the option of joining or not. Those that joined were relieved of any public service obligations for passenger service. Amtrak chose what routes to keep and what to drop. The Rock Island, Southern, Georgia RR, and the D&RGW chose to remain out of Amtrak and were required to keep their passenger services for it seems I recall, five years. Santa Fe came within a hairs breath of not joining but at the last minute did.

What if D&RGW joined? The Silverton Branch trains, as far as I understand, were still regulated passenger trains, albeit seasonal. The D&RGW also had the Rio Grande Zephyr between Denver & Salt Lake. But what if D&RGW had joined Amtrak? One can bet instead of the "San Francisco Zephyr" going on the UP through Wyoming, the Amtrak Zephyr would have run on the D&RGW. (Today's California Zephyr service on the ex-D&RGW started well after the Amtrak takeover).

But what about the Silverton branch? By all logic Amtrak would have dropped the service. Perhaps the branch would have been exempted from Amtrak and D&RGW would have continued running it.

I've mused about Amtrak seeing the passenger counts, deciding it was a worthwhile service and keeping it. Then discovering it was running with steam locomotives and some 19th century passenger cars and deciding to modernize it. In my minds eye I can see an Amtrak guy in the Durango yard wondering why the SP F7's he had hauled in don't fit on the tracks...

Anyone know if the D&RGW ever looked into what would happen to the Silverton Branch when they were deciding to join or not join Amtrak?
Subject Author Posted

What if the D&RGW had joined Amtrak?

Les Jarrett June 29, 2022 10:59AM

Re: What if the D&RGW had joined Amtrak?

et&wnc June 29, 2022 11:18AM

nickgully June 29, 2022 11:54AM

hank June 29, 2022 11:49AM

MD Ramsey June 29, 2022 12:14PM

guymonmd June 29, 2022 12:34PM

confused Attachments

drgw0579 July 01, 2022 06:06AM

Kelly Anderson July 01, 2022 06:27AM

hank July 01, 2022 08:58AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login