Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BWP Climax #3

June 14, 2022 02:26PM avatar
I think I shared a copy of this photo from another collection at some time in the past, but this copy was the next thing up on my stroll through our archive. We have Baker White Pine Lbr. Co. Climax #3 with her engine crew posing for the shot. #3 which was a 45 ton engine, was purchased new by BWP in 1915. The engine passed to the Stoddard Lumber Co. when BWP went into receivership in 1928 and was out of service around 1939. #3's boiler was salvaged at some point for stationary service and was acquired by SVRR back in the 1970's. The boiler is now at Roaring Camp. One of her builder plates and her spot plate survive in SVRR's collection. Now, what about that caboose? We are looking at Sumpter Valley Ry. caboose #1 which was evidently on loan to BWP or Stoddard's depending on when this photo was taken. This caboose and the original version of #3 were the same general specs. #3 however was extensively rebuilt in 1927 so that it closely matches #5. Both #1 and #3 were purchased second hand, with the origin unknown, but possibly part of the large purchase of former U&N cars in 1903 from the Oregon Shortlilne. Caboose #1 is listed in the Sumpter Valley accounts as retired in 1932. We know that this caboose still lettered for SVRy was wrecked on the Baker White Curry logging line. The scan is from the SVRR Archive.
img7514 - Copy - Copy.jpg
Subject Author Posted

BWP Climax #3 Attachments

J.B.Bane June 14, 2022 02:26PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login