Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MichCal 5 progress

Doc
June 09, 2022 02:54PM
First of all let me thank all those members of the forum who over the years have assisted me with gathering information about the MichCal #5 locomotive for my "model". I am nearing the completion of the construction of this 15" gauge, 4" = 1' model. Attached are a few pictures of the progress. With the exception of some ladders, the locomotive is nearly completed. The boiler has been hydrostatically tested to 200 psi for 4 hours, and pop offs are set at 125 psi. The engine does run on air at as low as 50 psi.
I am currently installing the electrical for the front headlight.
I do have a question that one or more members may be able to answer for me. I am trying to establish whether or not the engine had a rear headlight. Some of the pictures I have seen suggest either there was one in the kerosene era, and others suggest the absence. I am modelling the "electrical" era, rather than the kerosene lamp era. I wonder if anyone has a good picture of the rear of the locomotive that more clearly shows the lamp if present. The cab roof and sand bunkers have been left off temporarily to permit ease of work on the engine.
Shay right side.JPG
Shay rear.JPG
Shay cab view.JPG
Shay left side.JPG

Thanks , Doc

By the way, I am trying to convince myself to paint the tender rivets black, but really like the way they standout. Any comments?
Subject Author Posted

MichCal 5 progress Attachments

Doc June 09, 2022 02:54PM

Re: MichCal 5 progress

Samart June 09, 2022 03:52PM

Doc June 09, 2022 05:28PM

Chris Webster June 10, 2022 11:07AM

GeorgeGaskill June 09, 2022 05:43PM

DezignGuy June 10, 2022 12:57PM

Doc June 10, 2022 02:56PM

James June 10, 2022 03:06PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login