Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Saturday, the WW&F, and only a cell phone

February 14, 2022 06:30AM
The Wiscasset, Wilmington an Farmington Railway folks are taking advantage of the presence of the Maine Narrow Gauge equipment to run winter trains, including their #9 and MNRR's #7 (with a consist of all MNRR equipment mentioned on the forum previously). The diesel was fired up to move things as well at the end of the day.

In one of God's happy coincidences, a multi-state business trip, nearby friends and the WW&F came together for me last Saturday afternoon. The WW&F day started with a run to take the brush cutting and burning crew out and leave them. Then came periodic runs out to a place where the nearby SeaLyon farm had things to do and three sleigh ride outfits connecting (two horse drawn). Interspersed were train-only rides.

And I only had my old Galaxy cell phone. And when we arrived the tickets were all sold out.

But Ed and crew found a way to put us and another mother and 2 year old on the last train, the MNRR consist, when it went out to pick up the last of the sleigh ride folks and the brush cutting crew, including a meet with the WW&F consist at Alna Center. The conductor gave us the choice of getting off there and returning with WW&F #9 and train (20 minute ride or so) or continuing on out with #7 (hour or more). Our four year old (scared at first of blowing whistles, clanging bells and banging steel and iron) after some thought chose the longer ride (good choice!).

And of course when the sun finally came out the phone battery died.....

They will be doing it all again this coming Saturday, February 19th. You can volunteer to cut brush and ride for free but the regular ticket prices are incredibly reasonable.

20220212_134347.cmp.jpg

On this day WW&F's social media outreach was working and Mainers were ready for something to do (as many were commenting!):
20220212_134519.cmp.jpg

The turntable and the roundhouse project waiting for better weather (a mound of snow makes a good place from which to photo):
20220212_134742.cmp.jpg

WW&F mud and puddles were at times the main attraction:
20220212_135041.cmp.jpg

Two other visitors:
20220212_135132.cmp.jpg

More as job time permits.

Timothy

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2022 03:01PM by heatermason.
Subject Author Posted

Saturday, the WW&F, and only a cell phone Attachments

heatermason February 14, 2022 06:30AM

Re: Saturday, the WW&F, and only a cell phone I

Rader Sidetrack February 14, 2022 07:31AM

Re: Saturday, the WW&F, and only a cell phone II Attachments

heatermason February 14, 2022 03:06PM

Thanks for Visiting!

elecuyer February 15, 2022 09:33AM

Re: Thanks for Visiting!

Bill Reidy February 15, 2022 05:33PM

Re: Saturday, the WW&F, and only a cell phone III Attachments

heatermason February 15, 2022 09:17PM

Re: Saturday, the WW&F, and only a cell phone III

Stewart Rhine February 16, 2022 07:42AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login