Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

*ANNG Raton Pass Tunnel

November 19, 2021 12:29PM avatar
*Almost Nearly Narrow Gauge

On my way up to the Nebraska Panhandle last week I stopped off at the top of Raton Pass to see if I could snag an image of the 'long lost' West Portal of the original Raton Tunnel

Photo of the Elusive, West Portal of the Original Tunnel
IMG_9526.jpg

For a while, DRGW489 told me he believes that the west portal had collapsed from what we can see in the fleeting moments from the train. The tunnel portal was at the end of a deep cut and the 'new' 1908 bore is longer and lower (they both share the same location of the east portal.

The only post abandonment photo I've ever seen of the tunnel is in the Colorado Rail Annual No. 23, which showed the plugged portal with the capstone shown in the link above. Other than that, the ROW was about the same height as it was when rails ran up through it. (The caption says the keystone was a manhole and the date when THAT was ultimately plugged is the date in the photo)
IMG_9531.jpg

Today:
DJI_0633.JPG
The west portal has indeed collapsed, though the actual end is still intact, just the 50 feet behind it is gone. The tunnel was apparently wood lined its entire existence, one of the main factors in its abandonment. You can see how the soft earth of Raton has begun filling in the cut approaching the tunnel, nearly burying the entrance (note the 'capstone').

DJI_0636.JPG
Both west portals in relation to each other.
Subject Author Posted

*ANNG Raton Pass Tunnel Attachments

WilliamDiehl November 19, 2021 12:29PM

Re: *ANNG Raton Pass Tunnel

Mark Petersen November 19, 2021 12:33PM

John K November 21, 2021 11:42AM

Roger Hogan November 22, 2021 08:47PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login