Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Train whistles, "Make it stop" OT

April 15, 2021 09:42AM
A bit off topic but I didn't want to clutter the Rockwood thread too much.
I live in a sort of a college town (about half the students & staff commute from Spokane) in NE Washington on the NP mainline and the OwR&N branch t0 Spokane and Eastport, Idaho. (For those of you who insist on modern titles, BNSF & UP respectively) There is no place in town that is more than 10 blocks from the tracks, if you throw in the ex-NP branch to Coulee City that splits off the main here (now Palouse & Coulee City or something like that, state owned, operator keeps changing) and goes up the East side of town past the newer developments. Some genius has allowed the construction of a bunch of apartments on the other side of the mainline tracks over the last decade too.

Every Fall new students spend months complaining about the train whistles and the noise of the local BNSF freight switching cars at the flour mill. the new apartments have added complaints about trains blocking the tracks and making people late for class. (More serious concern: what if there's a fire or a medical emergency there? Why I say they shouldn't have been allowed to build 'em there.) None of them seem to get it when you point out that the NP built this town. I am being literal here, by the way. Tracks were here before the town and the town was built on NP land grants.

So anyway, I have a bit of a problem with people who move in somewhere and then start trying to change everything.

On a personal note: When I moved here in '86 hearing trains go by was one of the few things that were better than life in Gunnison had been for me the previous 6 years.[1]

Hank

[1] [Reasons for move are buried in my former marriage, 1983-1999. But we're still best friends so I won't be talking about the why beyond saying Denver/Boulder woman couldn't deal with isolation, particularly in Winter.]
Subject Author Posted

Train whistles, "Make it stop" OT

hank April 15, 2021 09:42AM

Re: Train whistles, "Make it stop" OT

12bridge April 15, 2021 10:15AM

MD Ramsey April 15, 2021 10:56AM

Mark Petersen April 15, 2021 11:02AM

Kelly Anderson April 16, 2021 06:18AM

Mark Petersen April 16, 2021 08:15AM

MD Ramsey April 16, 2021 07:06AM

jim pallow April 15, 2021 03:02PM

James April 16, 2021 09:14AM

Dan Robirds April 16, 2021 03:26PM

GeorgeGaskill April 15, 2021 11:47PM

hank April 16, 2021 07:58AM

John Meixel April 16, 2021 09:33AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login