Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Joe Vigil

November 21, 2020 05:13AM
Joe became GM shortly after I was hired as CMO. I was hired in October of 1989. Joe became GM in 1990 either Feb. or March as I recall.
His instruction to me was to make sure that we always had reliable power that would insure we could get across the railroad every day. He always supported getting me the resources needed to accomplish that goal.

Very early on because of the demands of the day we took to taking a walk together every day in the early morning either up to the narrows or out into the Sargent Wildlife area. We discussed the railroad, it's challenges, needs, and goals. We also talked family, Chama history, community and politics. He was deeply committed to supporting the local area of Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado. We purchased locally whenever possible. He clearly understood that the health of the railroad and the community were tightly tied together. While I was trying to stretch every dollar as far as it could go he taught me that having reliable partners you could depend on to be there when you needed them was more important than getting the best price.

It was on one of those walks when I approached him about running the Rotary snowplow to clear the line in 1991. He was reluctant but agreed if we had the Friends of the C&TS sponsor the event.
My wife Veronica and Bill Lock from the FOCTS put together the "Rotary Snowplow Passenger Extra". While it had many challenges it was covered by CBS and made it on the CBS Evening News with Dan Rather. The publicity helped both the railroad and the Friends and had a lasting positive impact.

During my time as President/GM I frequently closed the door to my office (which had been Joe's office) and asked myself how would Joe have handled the situation.

Our early morning walks are among my fondest memories of the railroad. Men like Joe will not come this way again.

John Bush
Subject Author Posted

Joe Vigil

Jeff Terry November 19, 2020 10:05AM

Earl November 19, 2020 11:58AM

drgw0579 November 19, 2020 01:04PM

MD Ramsey November 19, 2020 01:07PM

John West November 19, 2020 03:04PM

Brian Shoup November 19, 2020 06:03PM

Greg Scholl November 20, 2020 06:35AM

John Cole November 20, 2020 10:35AM

John Bush November 21, 2020 05:13AM

employee2 November 22, 2020 11:00PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login